The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Question regarding "Action" chronology... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a project with about 50 actions in it.
Some are due tomorrow...some in a couple of days...some in a couple of weeks...and some in a couple of months.

When I'm in the project in question, why are the actions not arranged by due date?
I have 1 of the 4 actions due tomorrow at the top of the list, then a couple of actions that are due on 12/5 are listed,...then another action due tomorrow about 4 slots from the top,...then about 15 actions that are all due between 12/15 and 1/1...then another action that is due tomorrow, etc., etc.

I know that I can go under "Edit" and physically rearrange them in the correct order, but isn't there a way to have the program arrange my actions in chronological order?

Thanks,

J.

Even in a parallel project, OmniFocus assumes that the order the actions were placed in has meaning - either the sequence those actions should be done in, priority, or some other meaning that's useful to you.

On that basis, it assumes it should leave your actions alone unless you specifically re-arrange them. (The Edit menu can be used to permanently sort those actions on the Mac, but in the iOS apps, it's a manual operation.)

That said, Forecast view will show you actions in due-date order, if that helps. There's also some discussion about the virtues of having context view group actions by project vs. by date in another thread. It's likely that Context view in the next update will have the option of being sorted by date. Hope that helps!

One of the mantras of GTD is "Plan in Projects, Work in Contexts", which means that the Project view is primarily for planning, not for doing, which is why OmniFocus doesn't automatically rearrange the tasks in Project view.

When you are "doing" actions, you should be in a Context, not in a Project. Prior to the current version, Contexts in the iPhone app were automatically sorted by Due, but the recent update changed this to sort by Project, which seemed to have caused a minor uproar. As Brian said above, a future update should restore Context view to having a sort by Due option.

Also, if you have the Mac app, you can (and should) create some custom Perspectives, which allow you to have your actions grouped and sorted however you want.