The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

SP 17 faster than beta 1 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I did read what he said later. I was mainly pointing out that there were comments each way, and no solid evidence being provided either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120
[Forrest:]
Anyway, I used SP 17 on 10.4.7, and I use beta 1 on 10.4.7; and beta 1 is as slow as 5.1.3 while SP 17 was a lot faster. But maybe that's a problem of my configuration. Or maybe you guys have too fast Macs to experience the difference.
Forrest, is your processor any slower than the one I have listed in my sig?

P

it's not .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
it's not .

Well, I hope it's not a psychological effect, but after reading this thread, I am noticing a drop in speed with beta 1. Hmmmm....

Well, it's not as slow as 5.1.3, I think. I was just testing side by side with Firefox, and OW was slightly slower with pages like the New York Times and the BBC.

Then I started testing against Safari, and, at least with the BBC pages, Safari absolutely blows OW away in rendering speed.

P

Last edited by philonous; 2006-07-25 at 05:41 PM..

IMHO, the issue that javascript can start up timed events and they never stop if you close the window may play a large part in these slowdowns. I've been having similar issues through all the SPs and I was slowly able to determine that the culprit was specific pages.

And that can be extremely tricky to diagnose. People can say "I was surfing a forum I always surf so it's an issue with this SP" when really they clicked on a link, even if closing a window five seconds later, and two hours after that the symptoms start becoming apparent.

Throw in auto-saving workspaces to the mix and you've got an issue that will repeat itself even after the browser is restarted. Somewhere, in some tab there's a site that's causing an issue. But now it seems it's just this SP's problem.

That's why I started in with asking how someone was able to know it wasn't a WebKit issue. The data cited was completely subjective.

And I don't mean to pick on anyone. I know I've done and continue to form bad logic based around my lack of understanding on how OW is built. I don't write programs, but I do write applications. What serves the best here, is to provide specific details around the problem rather than subjective interpretations on what's going on.

Not everyone will have your intuition. It's nice to have the intended audience test the product, but, I suppose, there are drawbacks if the intended audience are not computer experts.

P

It would be great if I could use SP 17 again; then I could capture the speed difference in a movie, and you would be able to see what I'm talking about.

By the way (this is really off topic, sorry): Do you know if there's a possibility to download iCal 2 somewhere? I've deleted it by mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120
It would be great if I could use SP 17 again; then I could capture the speed difference in a movie, and you would be able to see what I'm talking about.

By the way (this is really off topic, sorry): Do you know if there's a possibility to download iCal 2 somewhere? I've deleted it by mistake.
You can try this: go to /Library/Receipts and delete all receipts for iCal. Then, run Software Update.

P

Beta 3 brought back the scrolling speed of SP 17! It's great!

Last edited by 120; 2006-08-17 at 01:51 PM..