The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating options? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
By the way the repeat options thankfully stay locked to the day they have selected. For example if there is a start date, and you change, it when marked off it will start on the day you have it set to repeat on. If you have a start and a due date it will use the due date for the repeat option and keep the same relative start date. Seems like a good and logic way to set it up if I understand the new rules right.

The logic obviously gets more complicated with multiple days of the week selected to repeat on.

Thank you for adding the ability to select days for repeating tasks! I'm sure this has been requested before, but could a "repeat until" a specified date be prioritized on the OmniGroup's to-do list?

Nice to see day of the week. Really need monthly options as well. i.e. First monday of month etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I don't think I've ever seen desktop software that makes that calculation.
I have, Palm Desktop circa 1998 or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
Nice to see day of the week. Really need monthly options as well. i.e. First monday of month etc.
I was surprised, not seeing this option in OF. I have some tasks, which are due at special weekday of month (1st Monday, 2nd Tuesday, last Friday)

Count me down a someone who has owned OF for FIVE YEARS and still not done more than futz with it…BECAUSE it does not have a rich repeating to do function.

I appreciate the move in that direction, but I simply cannot use the software until this is implemented and it's incredibly aggravating.

Right now I'm using BusyCal (which integrates nicely on iPad and iPhone using Busy To Do). PLEASE look at BusyCal's slick, flexible repeating to do list. It's easy to understand and implement and works perfectly.

As has been said before, such functionality has been accessible for ages (Now Up To Date was the first one I used regularly).

Why do people want the repeating to dos and calendar in OF? Because they want ALL their actions in ONE PLACE. OF is the BEST at the GTD model, but, hello, scheduled events and repeating tasks are a huge part of the THINGS we are trying to GET DONE. Forcing hopeful OF users to spread their information out in multiple programs is less efficient and makes it more likely that things will get lost, forgotten, misplaced, or overlooked.

You cannot use it? Why not? I've completed thousands of repeating actions with it over the years. Some things are a bit inconvenient without built-in support, but I haven't encountered anything impossible, and refusing to use OmniFocus would be much more inconvenient!

whpalmer, I am unsure what purpose is served by arguing with my comment. The fact that you can reasonably accommodate the deficiencies in OF's repeating actions, doesn't address whether or not I can, in my circumstance.

I think you've made it clear throughout this enormous thread that you are satisfied with the functionality and your workarounds. I — and dozens of others — are not. Don't you think it's possible that the OmniGroup wants feedback from people besides you?

That said, almost every project I work on includes multiple repeatable events based a monthly calendar. First Thursday, last Monday, first and third Wednesday, third Friday every other month, first Saturday every six months, etc.

With OF finally implementing flexible weekly repeats this past March, I feel they are clueing into this need. The OF blog itself called this addition "the extremely useful and oft-requested feature."

They noted that this feature replaces a kluge that "required a bit too much initial effort." (Which is an understatement given the available alternatives AND the problem when this "too much initial effort" is required again and again over dozens of projects.)

They conclude with:

"We’d like to add more functionality for repeating actions in the future, too."

I look forward to this! I hope it doesn't take five more years to reach this functionality. I'd love to incorporate OF into my project work.

Another passionate plea for monthly options (First monday of month, Every 3rd Friday).

P.S. It would also be nice for The Omni Group to have an easy-to-find site where users could suggest and vote for feature requests.

Help us manage our task and people better by adding this type of repeat option.