The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for iPad v1.4 has been approved! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniFocus 1.4 for iPad adds Location Reminders, support for iOS 5, and other improvements and bug fixes.

This version of OmniFocus requires iOS 4.0 or later. In order to use Location Reminders, you need to have iOS 5 installed, and have an iPad 2 with 3G.

[NOTE: If you're reading this within a few hours of my original post, your local App Store might not have the update yet. If that happens, just wait an hour or so and then try again: it will be there soon!]

We love hearing from you! You can reach us by tapping Contact Omni (in the Gear Menu above the sidebar), sending email to omnifocus-ipad@omnigroup.com, tweeting to @omnifocus, or calling 1-800-315-OMNI or +1 206-523-4152.

Location Reminders
  • Location reminders can be handy for getting a little nudge when you are in the right area to complete an action. In order to use them, you need to have iOS 5 installed, and have an iPad 2 with 3G. Please see Setting up Location Reminders in OmniFocus Help for additional information.

Map
  • Map mode always shows available actions and contexts with available actions.
  • Several improvements were made to the behavior of the Map when Location Services is disabled. (Map mode requires Location Services to be enabled for full functionality.)
  • Tapping the Center Map button always refreshes the current location before centering the map.
  • OmniFocus now refreshes the list of contexts and available actions when resuming the app into Maps mode with list display active.
  • Improved the fade out animation of context inspectors.
  • When panning the map before showing a context inspector, the location is panned completely into view before displaying the inspector.

Forecast
  • The Future section of Forecast mode always shows an action’s due date.
  • Fixed a bug where hour cells on the event timeline could get stuck in the highlighted state on iOS 5.
  • On iOS 5, calendars with identical names from different accounts can be independently hidden from the Forecast event timeline.
  • On iOS 5, calendars in Forecast View Options are grouped by account.

Editors
  • Improved feedback when tapping on the location type buttons in the Context Location inspector.
  • Fixed a bug which caused the Context Location inspector to appear at the wrong initial size on iOS 5.
  • Fixed a bug which caused the item editor to reappear at the wrong location when the device was rotated while using the built-in web browser on iOS 5.
  • The Current Location button in the Context Location inspector is disabled when Location Services is disabled.
  • When tapping the Current Location button in the Context Location inspector, the user is alerted when the location cannot be determined.
  • The Context Location inspector better handles geocoding failures when setting up a context’s location using a contact.
  • The Project Type popover is now wide enough to accommodate the Single Actions type without truncation.

Workflow
  • The Remaining view filter in Context mode now displays remaining actions in remaining projects.

Sync
  • The Bonjour login panel now identifies the Mac we are syncing with by name.
  • Automatic syncs are no longer inappropriately started when OmniFocus is waiting for the user to enter their sync username and password.
  • Fixed a bug where the Subscribe in iCal button was not enabled for Omni Sync Server users whose accounts reside on one of the alternate sync servers.

Review
  • The German translation for the “Completed” and “On Hold” button titles are no longer too wide.
  • Fixed a bug where the buttons in the review bar were sometimes inappropriately enabled after exiting Edit mode.

Misc
  • Action groups are styled in bold when they appear in Context lists and Forecast mode.
  • When audio attachment recording or playback finishes, background audio is now resumed.
  • Tapping the View Options button or the Plus button in the toolbar now exits search mode.
  • Distances are now displayed in miles when the Region Format is set to United Kingdom.

Ken.

A new update... great!

A question though. Why do the Location Reminders need an iPad2 to work? I have an original iPad 3G - what is the difference in the devices that makes this feature not available?

iPhone 4 and iPad 2 3G added support for region monitoring, which is why they're required for the new Location Reminders. (Without that capability, there's no low-power way to monitor region entry/exit.)

The help for location reminders in OmniFocus stresses that the feature isn't guaranteed to work, might give variable results, and suggests that you use it "as an extra layer of occasional helpfulness, not a crucial part of your trusted system." It might not be the end of the world not to have it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
iPhone 4 and iPad 2 3G added support for region monitoring, which is why they're required for the new Location Reminders. (Without that capability, there's no low-power way to monitor region entry/exit.)
It's really a pitty :( I have an iPad1 with 3G and the GPS, this functionality would be great !

If it's possible that the iPad 1 3G could support the location reminders in a high power way, it would be nice to have the option to allow me to use up my battery to implement it rather than just assuming I want the longest battery life no matter what ... I mean, using the location services in the first instance uses more power than switching it off! ;)

Last edited by KiltedGreen; 2011-10-12 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Inserted "3G"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I love this idea and was wondering if it does eat away at the battery. I assume based on your comment it isn't as intense as the Maps app?

Also, I have a wifi iPad 2 that I tether. Is there any way to enable the location alerts for it? It works fine on the iPhone, but I prefer using my iPad for Omnifocus..

From what I am reading, the iOS 5 location-based reminders are iPhone 4 and 4S only. I'm not seeing the ability to create location-based reminders on my 3G iPad 2.

Location-based reminders do work on iPad 2 3G models. But it has to be turned on first in settings. It's located under Sounds & Alerts. This was done for those that use both the iPhone and iPad clients to avoid having both devices giving alerts. Sorry we didn't document that.

any plans to show past due, or items due today in the notifications header in the new iOS 5? i'm talking about the bar that scrolls down from the top, and/or in the locked screen. or do i need to make a feature request. thanks!