The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Disappearing notes? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just had a meeting, writing notes in the Notes field, and when I took a look at Omni back at my desk, it was all gone. I bolded lines that were important for me to remember...ugh.

Just wanted to note that it happened to me as well...You're not crazy. I'll have to try to look into the software conflicts some of you mentioned. Not sure what would be conflicting, but I'll try to do some research. I am running, AOL Instant Messenger, maybe that's it, I don't know. Other than that...iCal, FireFox, Photoshop. Unless it's something running in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I just had a meeting, writing notes in the Notes field, and when I took a look at Omni back at my desk, it was all gone. I bolded lines that were important for me to remember...ugh.

Just wanted to note that it happened to me as well...You're not crazy. I'll have to try to look into the software conflicts some of you mentioned. Not sure what would be conflicting, but I'll try to do some research. I am running, AOL Instant Messenger, maybe that's it, I don't know. Other than that...iCal, FireFox, Photoshop. Unless it's something running in the background.
What, if anything, did you do in OmniFocus after making the changes to the note field? I have seen cases when creating a new note where it didn't get saved because I didn't close the edit. I can't reproduce it right now, but I know it has happened to me, and now I make a practice of always being sure to click elsewhere (thus causing OmniFocus to write that change out to the database) as soon as I think I might be done typing or otherwise editing something. My suspicion is that the missing stuff isn't being lost from the database, but rather never was entered into the file on the disk.

a-ha! I think that's likely what happened! Silly me. Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, my understanding is that text fields don't fire the 'hey, I have new stuff' message until something else gets selected.

I assume that smarter folks than me have good reasons for making it work this way, but I can attest to the fact that it does confuse folks. :-)

it seems that omnifocus lost some very important snapshots i took with skitch (skitch.com).
the process was as follows: i took a snapshot with skitch, drag it into the attachement section of a tast and added some description.
after a couple of days i need to view them again. unfortunatelly when i clicked the image (appeared as a jpg item) i was requested to look for the image myself which should have been in either /tmp/xxx.jpg or /private/tmp/xxx.jpg .
its really weird and a pain in the ass as i needed these docs for doing something for a client which i have to contact again.

if you know something about it or confirm this please file a bug.

especially working with skitch gets more and more important to me. would need to switch applications if this process doesn`t work.

thanks for reply <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtin79 View Post
unfortunatelly when i clicked the image (appeared as a jpg item) i was requested to look for the image myself which should have been in either /tmp/xxx.jpg or /private/tmp/xxx.jpg .
I can't speak to your reported issue and haven't run into any data loss problems myself, but I can tell you that the /tmp and /private/tmp directories are cleaned up on reboot. So if you restarted your machine recently, it's not surprising that the images are now gone.

You should contact the support ninjas to get the most accurate explanation of what's going on here and how to avoid it in the future. And you can log a bug report if this is, indeed, a problem in the software.

-Dennis

Sorry for the inconvenience this caused; to avoid it in the future, option-drag the file into OmniFocus; that embeds the file in the database, rather than link to it in the current location.

I don't think anything in /tmp is guaranteed to stick around all that long; my guess is the original got deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yeah, my understanding is that text fields don't fire the 'hey, I have new stuff' message until something else gets selected.
We've fixed this for version 1.8, so edits in progress should no longer get lost when changes are synchronized from another computer. (1.8 saves partial edits when synchronization begins, and once again right before synchronization incorporates changes pulled from another computer.)