The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Color shift Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm using OmniGraffle Professional, latest version. Let's say I draw a shape and color it grass green. A little later, I add another shape. I want the new shape the same color, so I go to "fill" and with the color picker, pick the grass green color from my original shape. On the screen, they look identical. The hex color for both shows the same. However, if I print my diagram -- either directly from OmniGraffle or from a PDF I export -- the second shape is invariably a slightly different green, and it's noticeable. This happens with any kind of color; green is just an example.

How can I make this behave? Or is this a bug?

Thanks.

Same here. With regular OG. Was making a graph with a company logo in a larger box. Filled up the box with the color sampled from the logo. Looked great on the display. However when printed the original outline of the logo
was clearly visible in the box. Disappointing to say the least.

This is because you're sampling the color, a Device RGB color profile is being created, which is out of gamut for printing.

In general, you don't want to use RGB colors when you're destined to print in any case.

I know very little about color profiles. Is there a simple way around this? (And what’s the point of the color picker if it won’t be consistent within the same document?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
This is because you're sampling the color, a Device RGB color profile is being created, which is out of gamut for printing.

In general, you don't want to use RGB colors when you're destined to print in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabel View Post
I know very little about color profiles. Is there a simple way around this? (And what’s the point of the color picker if it won’t be consistent within the same document?)
You'll have to ask Apple about that. In any case, if you want the same fill color as another shape, the easiest way is to use the Style: Summary Inspector and drag the fill chit to another shape, or use the style brush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
You'll have to ask Apple about that. In any case, if you want the same fill color as another shape, the easiest way is to use the Style: Summary Inspector and drag the fill chit to another shape, or use the style brush.
OK, but when I have and object, how to I copy the color of an image in the Style summary to the 'fill' of this object?
Let's say I have copied a supplier's logo to include into a process flow and I want to put this logo into a larger box but that box has to have to same colour as the logo, since I want to add some details to this box about the supplier. ( am I still making sense?)

Well, in that case you'll have to sample the color using the color picker. There's a small drop down menu you can use in the color picker in the Color Sliders tab to manage what color profile is being used, and it helps if you have ColorSync turned on and the supplier's logo has an embedded or assigned ColorSync profile too.