The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Humble request for a calendar View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
First off I have been using omnifocus for 2 weeks on the iPad and I like it. Great work!

The one challenge I have with omnifocus on the iPad and iPhone (yes I have purchased on all three platforms) is that there is no view into my calendar. I realize omnifocus focuses on actions, but it's really hard to separate actions from the events of your life.

For review it is painful on an iOS device to move back and forth between calendar and OF.

For my morning, getting ready for the day, I have to review again In 2 places to see what is on deck.

What I am asking for is a view into the system calendar (desktop and iOS). I think this would allow for OF to be the primary work environment for the day.

As a side note, iOS 4 API permits access to the local calendar data store.

Any chance for calendar support in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunicki View Post
First off I have been using omnifocus for 2 weeks on the iPad and I like it. Great work!

The one challenge I have with omnifocus on the iPad and iPhone (yes I have purchased on all three platforms) is that there is no view into my calendar. I realize omnifocus focuses on actions, but it's really hard to separate actions from the events of your life.

For review it is painful on an iOS device to move back and forth between calendar and OF.

For my morning, getting ready for the day, I have to review again In 2 places to see what is on deck.

What I am asking for is a view into the system calendar (desktop and iOS). I think this would allow for OF to be the primary work environment for the day.

As a side note, iOS 4 API permits access to the local calendar data store.

Any chance for calendar support in the future?
Hi kunicki,

Wouldn't iOS 4 and fast app switching solve your problem?

Well iOS4 makes it more efficient to do the app switching. But the challenge is being to compare the two things at the same time that have a natural relationship. iCal has calendar and tasks together, along with most other apps that deal with calendars and tasks.

Quote:
Well iOS4 makes it more efficient to do the app switching. But the challenge is being to compare the two things at the same time that have a natural relationship. iCal has calendar and tasks together, along with most other apps that deal with calendars and tasks.
Maybe this post (linked from the OF Forums FAQ's) can help you see OmniGroup's reasoning/thoughts on this: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...3&postcount=49

Quote:
What iOS device are you using that has tasks in iCal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory View Post
What iOS device are you using that has tasks in iCal?
None — I think the point being made is that iCal (which only runs on the Mac, as the iOS calendar apps aren't named iCal) does allow one to see both appointments and tasks simultaneously, after a fashion, and that the OP finds that ability useful.

Personally, I don't find it a big deal to simply go look at the calendar at the appropriate spot in my morning review; I would have to switch to the "calendar view" in OmniFocus, then go back to my other view, and that seems to be about the same friction as launching the calendar application and relaunching OmniFocus. YMMV, of course.

Yes that was my point. Many personal managers include the concept of calendar and tasks/actions in the same application.

What would be nice is in the review mode where I can see how many actions I have assigned go the day to also see my calendar agenda.

Hence the word review. Trying to see as a complete view of your life as is possible.

Quote:
What would be nice is in the review mode where I can see how many actions I have assigned go the day to also see my calendar agenda.

Hence the word review. Trying to see as a complete view of your life as is possible.
Except the Review mode doesn't show anything of the sort :) You are thinking of the Forecast view, maybe? Review shows you the actions of one project at a time, allowing you to review that project to see whether it needs to be changed to keep it on track. Forecast view gives you the day-at-a-time view of the week + "bookends" of past and future. Forecast would be more useful if it had the option to show actions starting (not just due) on the day, and seems like the more appropriate place to show information from the calendar.

If you want your idea to become reality, use Contact Omni from the gear menu in the app to send in your request, as forum posts, no matter how brilliantly argued, don't usually make it into the development database.

yes, you are right. I am still getting use to the naming. I posted my message here just to see if others would be interested in the concept and to discuss what it would need to look like.

Thanks for your comments to this point.