The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature request: current action on-top sticky Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just throwing something out there:

I would like to be able to select a current task that I'm choosing to work on and be able to launch a new little window or bezel that shows the text of that action. The launching could be done by toolbar button, hotkey, or contextual menu.

This little bezel would:
- always be on top of all windows
- remember its position
- disappear if its action were checked off within Omnifocus, or if a new action's bezel were launched, or if its own close or X box were clicked.

The point of this would be a persistent reminder of the action that I am currently doing. I know it sounds ridiculous but, heaven help me, I need such reminders often.

Any thoughts before I send this to Omni?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
. I know it sounds ridiculous but, heaven help me, I need such reminders often.

Any thoughts before I send this to Omni?
Ginkgo Biloba ;-/

Craig,

I posted a little script over on OmniFocus Extras that does something like this using Growl. The script takes the selected OmniFocus item and displays a Growl notification. You can configure Growl to make certain notifications "sticky". I'm not using the script myself so I haven't put it on my scripts page. (A law of software development says that data or programs that aren't used cannot be successfully maintained. That was the root cause of the Y2K problem.)

Curt

Thanks Curt - I found it and I'm trying it out.

A limitation of Growl, of course, is that it's one-way. Is there a way that Applescript (or Automator) can create windows that can be placed in specific spots and made always on top? If so, maybe I can craft something that interacts more fully with OF.

[if mods want to move this to the Extras forum that's fine by me...]

Plain Applescript can't do always-on-top windows. Perhaps Applescript Studio or an extension would help.

I think a neat OF feature might be a "What's Next" window. It would show a single next action. The next action could be the very first one in the current context view. (Or it could be based on a perspective, or on the view bar settings when the What's Next window was opened.)

The What's Next window would be (optionally) always on top. Check off the task in the window would cause the next task to be displayed.

Thoughts?

Curt

I'd love it, although I'd also want to be able to manually send a selected action to the What's Next Box too. In practice I don't tend to go down my lists in order so I probably wouldn't use it that way, but I would like to use it like the on-top reminder I described above.

Hi Craig,

I absolutely loved this little script, but unfortunately it looks like it no longer works as of Growl 2.0. Is it possible you could update the script to allow it to continue working?

Jason

I wasn't the author of the script, and I haven't used it in years, so I'm afraid I can't be any help.