The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Poor support for huge workspaces Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This seems to be a long-standing issue, but one I never really thought to bring up... Huge workspaces (i.e. hundreds of tabs) don't seem to work well. If I try to restore such a workspace, it usually locks up (beachballing forever), which is not good, because (1) I web-browse rather intensely, and (2) OmniWeb crashes a lot, so I frequently need to restore my workspace. Normally I wouldn't demand so much of a web browser, but I've used Camino like this before, and it works just fine. Its interface is just as snappy and ever, and I can have it restore my session after crashing/quitting, and it seems to handle that quite painlessly.

Perhaps this is another WebKit issue... but I'm pretty sure I've tried using Safari like this, and it may have been a bit slower than Camino, but it definitely wasn't as bad as OmniWeb.

Well, it's the tabs that are the problem here. On restoring a workspace, OW will reload each an every tab of the workspace to show the thumbnail in the tab. When it's done, this results in very speedy tab switches, as nothing has to be loaded at the time you switch to the tab. With that huge workspaces as you describe, this method will not obviously not work well, though.

Might be a good idea to add a preference item to limit the number of tabs that are loaded when switching to workspace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel View Post
Might be a good idea to add a preference item to limit the number of tabs that are loaded when switching to workspace.
There is one but it's set to how much time a workspace will attempt to load pages.

Here are some things I'd like:

- Remember which tabs are marked as "viewed" (i.e. which ones still have green check-marks). That makes it easier to pick up where one left off when reopening a workspace.
- Have an option to force it to retain all open pages (and the files they depend upon) in the cache, so it does not need to reload any data from the internet upon reopening.