The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Appearance of the OmniFocus Badge in the Dock Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
There is a built-in facility in the OS for badging, and all applications that use it badge in the upper right corner.
To quibble a bit, I don't believe that's truly part of the operating system. The documentation I looked at described how to do your own custom representation, and I haven't seen anything that shows the Mac App Store version of OmniFocus with different badges, so Apple apparently isn't as worked up about this flagrant violation :-)
Quote:
Also, those that use the built in OS X facility changed appearance with Lion, so they now have a white ring around the outside of them to improve readability. From this, I can deduce that your'e still running Snow Leopard, Bill ;-)
I am indeed. RobTrew and I decided last year that "after the new year" was a good time to take the plunge, and indeed Rob did so recently, what with the better-known (Jewish, calendar, Chinese) new years having now passed us by. However, I recently discovered the Lao and Nepali new years were both in mid-April, and now I see the Ethiopian one is in mid-September which pretty much gets us to the first new year on the list :-)

MobileMe's impending shutdown will probably force me to start using Lion part-time before then.
Quote:
It would be nice if the OG applications would use the standard conventions; the one downside being in this case that there's no orange so you'd lose the ability to delineate between overdue/due soon/flagged as you can already.
OmniFocus also uses gray for badges if red or orange aren't appropriate.

I don't know what it looks like in Lion, but I dislike seeing the red badges from the MAS, Mail, DevonThink, etc. because I don't think any of them have anything to say that merits red paint! Twitterrific uses a non-standard badge like Omni, and I appreciate the lower-impact labeling.

Also, just stumbled across another reason for the alternate dock icon: OmniFocus still supports Tiger, where you have to draw your own badge.
Quote:
Bill with 96 in "due soon" and 0 overdue I can see you're not one who avoids due dates ;-)
I'm not afraid of due dates, but that number is misleading. I'm showing due soon and flagged there, and all but 8 are flagged, not due soon. (Curiously, the number gets bigger if I uncheck one of the boxes!) However, I'm glad you brought that up, because it gave me the opportunity to find and fix an error in the abbreviations file for Where in OF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Speaking of consistency and attention to the rules…
Can't fix it anymore, thanks for noticing nevertheless. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Unsure what the HIG says on this, or if this is one of those cases where violating a guideline is still the best choice. In any case, I'm happy to write up a feature request on it.

It'll get in front of the eyeballs best-equipped to consider it that way. :-)
That would be great. While I understand the HIG only recommends a red badge, I'm sure Omni can cook up a custom badge that works in all colours. Somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
…the one downside being in this case that there's no orange so you'd lose the ability to delineate…
I think you can still use a custom badge such as the one OmniFocus currently uses, however make it look like the system badge — but with colors.

@whpalmer4
I think it's a guideline, so non-compliance is certainly not a problem. OmniFocus isn't the only app that is non-compliant — but if you prefer running apps that have a good citizen «feel» on Mac OS, you'll see that it's one of the few still deviating from the recommendation.