The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Reporting or Listing Tasks by a Date Range? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorry for the basic question.

I just started playing for OmniFocus and it is a nice interface for task management. Our team members need a way to print or export a list
of tasks that are completed, open, etc... for a given date range..

For Example, I would like to list & print all completed tasks from
10-01-08 to 10-31-08.. or something like 08-01-08 to 12-31-08...

I can't seem to be able to figure out how to do this... any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Before purchasing product for our team members I need to see if this function is available..

Thanks!

T.

First of all, I get a little nervous when people talk about buying OmniFocus for a team. OmniFocus is for personal task management, and there is no simple way to delegate tasks to team members or receive status updates from them. We're looking at ways to add that sort of functionality, probably by integrating with OmniPlan, our project management software. Obviously, I'm not saying "you can't buy OmniFocus", I just want to make sure you understand what it can and can't do.

There's no way to filter on explicit dates in OmniFocus. However, you can see all your completed tasks, sorted by what date they were completed. Then you could print this view.

It would also be fairly straightforward (if AppleScript can ever be considered straightforward) to create an AppleScript which finds all tasks or projects completed in a specific date range and generates a plain text file listing. If you want to get fancy, you could change the output to an html page formatted for printing, or even composes an email addressed to the person's manager.

I recommend asking the OmniFocus Extras forum if anyone has already written such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
First of all, I get a little nervous when people talk about buying OmniFocus for a team. OmniFocus is for personal task management, and there is no simple way to delegate tasks to team members or receive status updates from them. We're looking at ways to add that sort of functionality, probably by integrating with OmniPlan, our project management software. Obviously, I'm not saying "you can't buy OmniFocus", I just want to make sure you understand what it can and can't do.

There's no way to filter on explicit dates in OmniFocus. However, you can see all your completed tasks, sorted by what date they were completed. Then you could print this view.

It would also be fairly straightforward (if AppleScript can ever be considered straightforward) to create an AppleScript which finds all tasks or projects completed in a specific date range and generates a plain text file listing. If you want to get fancy, you could change the output to an html page formatted for printing, or even composes an email addressed to the person's manager.

I recommend asking the OmniFocus Extras forum if anyone has already written such a thing.

we are just looking for a simple task manager for "each" individual.. not for team management.... We need to fill out monthly reports and filter tasks for a certain date range is a necessity for the tool we pick.. thanks

OmniFocus was not designed with monthly reports in mind, but you may find the export options will suit your needs. If you haven't already done so, I invite you to download OmniFocus and try it free for two weeks, so you can see for yourself.