The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating options? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenind View Post
I would like some type of feature that is something like...

Use Help --> Send Feedback to submit your feature request.

Curt

I have this very same need, after noticing that my tires were low, I have started a "Check my tire pressure and oil" On the first Sunday of every month. It makes absolutely no sense to have this repeat on the first of every month, this can only get done for me on a Sunday. SO one more vote. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThannClark View Post
SO one more vote. Thanks!
As Curt already mentioned, you really need to use Help -> Send Feedback to place any kind of a vote. Posting a "me too" message here doesn't count. :-)

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThannClark View Post
I have this very same need, after noticing that my tires were low, I have started a "Check my tire pressure and oil" On the first Sunday of every month. It makes absolutely no sense to have this repeat on the first of every month, this can only get done for me on a Sunday. SO one more vote. Thanks!
These sound more like Calendar tasks than OmniFocus tasks. As I use them, OF is for tasks that don't necessarily have to take place on a specific date, and can "float" if necessary. I put tasks like "trash cans to curb" on my calendar.

Speaking of calendars, as I really don't like iCal, I've found that Sunbird works well with both my Google calendars and anything in the ical format. I haven't tried to see if I can synch it with OF, as I don't synch, but it is a good, full-featured calendar app at the best price possible (free). [Though I would happily pay for OmniCal, if this ever gets developed.]

Fuzzy repetition like that found in Scrial Consistency. THAT is what we also need added to repeating tasks. It's exactly what many on this thread are talking about.

Instead of relying on a voting system of what users talk about or say, get everyone together at Omni for a common sense test on this one. I think that if you were to really examine this capability, it would become clear what an asset it would be to the software.

Have to remind yourself to clean the fish tank? What about keeping track of getting some monthly reports together? Do you need to prepare and submit paperwork that works of a really funky schedule like every other month on the 3rd Friday? What about reminding yourself to get the oil changed in your car?

A very robust repetition scheme that included fuzzy tracking like Consistency does would be a killer feature for OmniFocus. The test of this is to get together and ask yourselves at Omni, "would I use this?" I think if you did that, it would become more clear just how killer of a feature this would be.

Obviously, stability and syncing were far more important essentials. Now that they are more robust, it's time to take OmniFu to the next level and this whole repetition enchilada could do just that. People still buy enough copies of Consistency at $20 or whatever a pop (ridiculous price) to keep it in (slow) development. People want this even if they don't realize it yet. People want to be reminded of the things that they are responsible for that do not comfortably fit into the tracking systems we currently use.

I don't think there's any doubt that more flexible action repeat patterns would be useful. The best way to figure out what our customers want is to pay attention to what they tell us. Right now, there are things that our customers are telling us they want more than this feature.

One example: adding UI for creating repeating actions to the iPhone version; it can't yet do what the desktop app does.

Despite the desktop app having over six months of a head start on the iPhone one, there are more votes attached to the "I need repeating actions like the desktop" request than to the "I need more flexible repeat options" request.

More requests in less time means we should probably pay attention to that. :-)

Not saying that we're not going to do this; just partially explaining why we haven't done it yet. (Another reason is localizations: if we add a bunch of new repeat UI, we have to localize it for all the languages we support.)

The feedback you get is probably only a portion of the user base. Also, it does not include the potential market that innovative features might bring to OmniFu.

Don't forget that many people don't like and won't use this product for whatever reasons (primarily the complexity/UI). Repetition is a key feature that is often requested and none of the task management applications do it very well. Absolutely nobody does fuzzy tracking. It offers a competitive advantage.

The iPhone app is nice, but the key driver should be the desktop app. With competitors out there stealing mindshare at every opportunity, it's critical that Omni continue to differentiate itself and justify the premium. (Sync was absolutely huge in that respect.) Feature parity with the desktop is definitely a worthy goal, but nobody on the outside is probably going to notice.

Design by committee does not produce excellence. Creativity, vision, knowledge, and dedication do. Far too often I see Omni being almost dictated to by some of the more vocal OmniFu zealots and I don't think that's a good thing. Design what you think will do well. Listen to feedback, but at the end of the day use those in house talents that have made Omni so successful in the first place.

:-)

BTW - I congratulate all of you on a job well done with this app! Please don't take my comments as negative. They are not meant that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhogan View Post
Design by committee does not produce excellence. Creativity, vision, knowledge, and dedication do. Far too often I see Omni being almost dictated to by some of the more vocal OmniFu zealots and I don't think that's a good thing. Design what you think will do well. Listen to feedback, but at the end of the day use those in house talents that have made Omni so successful in the first place.
Out of curiosity, could you give us some examples of decisions where you perceive Omni let itself be pushed by outside feedback into doing something that it didn't think was the right thing to do? I've read every post on the forums since the first announcement that they would build what turned out to be OmniFocus, and frankly, I don't see it.

My perception is that they have a long list of their own ideas about how their products should develop. They like to hear from us, because they don't think that they are the only ones with good ideas, and it helps keep them pointed in the right direction, but when push comes to shove, they build the stuff they believe in. Our feedback helps them fine tune the decisions about what happens when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I would like to vote for the "recur on certain day" feature.
So would I...

To vote, you need to use Help->Send Feedback or send email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com; posting in the forum doesn't get your vote counted.