The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multiple Contexts or people as attributes - Asked a 1000 times - Humour me! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
+ 1 for me to. Give us multiple contexts. I came from being a "microsoft outlook" user and seriously having multiple contexts or"tags" as microsoft calls them is a no brainer. Listen to your customers then give us the option to use or not use them. Surely this is the best solutiion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottympg View Post
+ 1 for me to. Give us multiple contexts. I came from being a "microsoft outlook" user and seriously having multiple contexts or"tags" as microsoft calls them is a no brainer. Listen to your customers then give us the option to use or not use them. Surely this is the best solutiion.
I couldn't agree more. And I am not sure what argument speaks against this move.

Please refer to this post for a short accounting of our thoughts on this subject. If anything changes in the future, we'll be sure to announce it.

For people, I like to just use the search feature. So, if I run into Bob, I just search for "Bob" and all related tasks appear.

Some people like to use hashtags for this, but I think it's unnecessary as I will always use the person's name in the title, but hashtags may help in another's workflow.

I don't like using Contexts for people as I don't like names of people floating in and out of my life always appearing on my Context list, and I don't think managing them by adding and dropping is worth the time.

Just use search in that case.

+1 for multiple contexts and/or tags.

I too use Search for peoples' names, as a substitute for an additional "People" tag. The convention I use is the person's last name - followed by a first initial if that's necessary - enclosed in brackets at the end of the item. So it would look like this:

Waiting for estimate [smith]

Then I just search for the string "[smith" and all the items assigned to that person show up. (BTW, I use brackets because they look good, and don't require the shift key as parens or # do.)

I'd prefer to have a drop-down menu column with programmable names, but until that's a feature, this works okay for me.