The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

What is a Mind Map? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What exactly is a mind map and how do I make OG think it's one?

I was temporarily enticed by the offerings from ConceptDraw, but realized I like the whole Omni line better. (That and I'd already basically bought everything they make.)

But, this whole concept of mind mapping is intriguing. Is this possible in OG?

Thanks

Christopher

Here's a description of mind mapping to get your started. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_Mapping

Many people use OmniGraffle to create mind maps.

You can tell OmniGraffle to automatically lay out all of your connected objects in that sort of radial layout in the Diagram Layout tab of the Canvas inspector. You can also adjust the diagram style in the bottom of the Utilities drawer to sort of mimic some of the mind maps shown on that wikipedia entry.

Lizard

Thanks. That's a big help. I'll spend some time at the Wikipedia page.

However -- I've been using OG for around 18 months now without any problems. Not any more. As soon as I read your post I fired up OG and set it to be radial (although my version doesn't actually have the word radial show up anywhere, the graphic looks more radial than the other 4 choices). Only a few entries in I get the spinning beach ball of death. Any help?

I am going to see if you've got an update I've missed.

Thanks

Christopher

Lizard,

Joel helped me with the problem I was having, I ended up going to the Beta version and all is well.

However, I can't get the Brainstorming/Lines to go out in a radial fashion like the others.

Is this just tough luck or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Christopher

In the Canvas: Diagram Layout inspector, you'll see from the five buttons at the top that the Lines version of the Brainstorm is set to layout to the right. If you want it to be radial, click the far right button:

However, the styling of the lines is not really suited to that layout, fwiw.

Jonathan

Thanks. That's what I was trying to do but I'm having trouble with it sometimes hanging up and giving me the spinning beach ball and sometimes not doing radial with that layout.

I know it may not be perfect, but it's closer to the look I've seen from other Mind Mapping software than other layouts in OG.

Thanks

Christopher

You might find it faster to turn off the auto-layout option and then manually force a layout at intervals.