The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus in a team Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Problem I have is that we manage projects and next actions as a company (of which I am MD - www.applebananacarrot.com) and I also want to do the same for myself personally.

Most , but not all, of my personal projects are company projects. I ‘d like to use Omnifocus for company project management and also for my self gtd work but dont want to have to copy actions and projects across from the company doc to my doc, neither do I want to use the company for all my personal stuff - cos it needs to be shared across the team,
I guess this is a common problem for those usng GTD as an individual and a team.

If the copying pver is very easy then it will be OK as longas all info is preserved.

Will omnifocus be able to cope with this eg a) can you klink 2 files together
or b) can you copy projects, next atrion lists, contexts etc easily from one file to another.

best

tommy banana

or could I use omniplan for the team and omni focus for myself?

Having done a lot of team leadership stuff, I really think that GTD-level next actions are serious overkill for teams to view. Most assignments are based on certain deliverables. For example, you might assign "Get the 'Smith, Smith and Smith' contract", but your subordinate would probably break that down into "Ask Smith's secretary for the contract" as a next action and various following actions from there on.

You, as a manager, hardly need to see all those actions, instead you just want a basic status report from your subordinate telling you that the contract is in process or that it's completed and in-hand.

Make sense?

So the model there would be to use some form of groupware (e.g. OmniPlan) for the group, at a deliverable/milestone/objective level, and then use OmniFocus personally to keep track of what's on your plate.

For a team leadership it is necessary to pay attention on all actions and there is need of basic report that the project is in process.

About the only way I can imagine using OF for a team, is if you can dedicate a machine to running it, and then use VNC (ie leopard's built in screen sharing) to "Share" that computer.

It would be sort of like a whiteboard in that you all would have to take turns interacting with it. But for teams up to around 10 with only moderate task completion frequence I bet it would work OK...

-P