The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

User-Definable Meta-Tags Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I agree substantially with your post, and didn't intend the tone of my post to be "gimme features!!". :-)

re: Omni is focusing (haha) on the "right" efforts:
Omni = finite programming resources. Let's see, would I rather have tags or iPhone app? I'll be honest: iPhone app! Tags or better syncing? Syncing. Tags or the new iPhone app? New iPhone app (most recent, that is).

So, I'd say, as one who uses OF very heavily, I'm happy with Omni's output.

But when I hear other users complaining about more frivolous missing features, calendar integration, or what have you, AND when the definable metadata feature has been, shall we say, not on the front burner, I feel mildly concerned.

I don't really suspect that the talented & funny Mr. Mann is the features-czar or anything, but if he and whoever else "on the inside" are pushing that agenda, I (selfishly) worry that we'll see tags a year later, vs. a year earlier.
re: the extremely useful nature tags in OF
(I know you all know what "tags" are so forgive my overly simplistic declarations following): This "user-assignable metadata" thing is functionally: being able to label a task element with [more than one] label of [what kind of effort].

More than one. User-definable label.
(I consider contexts as the only currently user-definable label. Note/comment text is for notes/comments, & the name of the task is the core of the task itself, so I don't consider those "labels" on the task)

I know we've all been inundated in the past few years with "tag this" and "tag that," but being able to label a selection of tasks, over various contexts, with the following tags would be so great!!:

1. "these tasks are starting to confuse me"
2. "these tasks pertain to cathy smith"
3. "these tasks need redefinition"
4. "these tasks are to be done while on the imac"

It is going to be SO beneficial to me! The wait is killing me, that's all. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Personally, I've found OmniFocus to be extremely useful even without tagging.
Me too, man, me too. OF on Mac & iPhone is life-changing for me. (and thanks for the spell check. Yikes on me, I spelled neither the rapper (ludacris) nor the adjective.)

Last edited by steven; 2009-07-03 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: blah, blah, blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It would also mean localization changes and revising both manuals.
There are two manuals for Omnifocus? Helloooo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexattend View Post
There are two manuals for Omnifocus? Helloooo?
Yes. One for the desktop version, and one for the iPhone/iPod touch version.

Closing this thread (and similar ones in the other OmniFocus forums) in favor of the consolidated thread for this topic.