The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can I see your iPad Graffles? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Very cool, Mattao! How long would you estimate it took to do the diagram at the bottom left?

This thread is awesome. Our customers rock. :-)

I was helping someone figure out rug placement in their living room recently, and I used OmniGraffle on the iPad to sketch out the living room, with three layers: walls and doors (and unmoveable furniture) on the bottom layer, furniture on the top layer, and a middle layer for the rug, to see how different rug sizes interacted with the furniture. It was a pretty quick sketch rather than something highly polished, but I was pretty happy with how well it came out (as were they), and I thought I'd share it here.

Notes:

- The doors and windows came from the "Walls, Windows & Doors" stencil that I downloaded from Graffletopia directly into OmniGraffle on the iPad.

- I didn't have snap-to-grid on at the time, so some of the wall lines weren't quite straight; I subsequently straightened those with the grid.

- We don't have a mode for drawing multi-segment lines in the iPad. You can add mid-points after drawing a line, but what I did was draw separate wall segments and then connected the end points.

- Dealing with connecting the line end points and rotating items was fiddly, so I zoomed way in to have better control and visibility.

- A few of the labels aren't oriented the way I would have preferred; we don't have support on the iPad for rotating the text independent of the shape the text is on, and it wasn't worth it to me to rotate and resize those pieces when I started labeling things.

- This is not to scale, and I didn't set a scale on the document - this was just a rough sketch to get an idea of placement and relative size.

(Click on the thumbnail below to see the full-size image.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	livingroom-ipad.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1677  

Thanks Andrew! How long time did it take you to put that together?

Probably spent 10-15 minutes on it at the time? I'm really not sure, but it was quick enough that I was able to do it during the course of a conversation, rather than having to come back later to share the results.

I took about 8min to do that