The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

assigning grouped tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i have grouped tasks and want to assign the entire group to a single resource using the leveling function automatically. currently i can assign tasks to a grouped resource, and omniplan automatically assigns them to the individual resources within the resource group based on their availability. is there a way i can do this, but have it assign the grouped task automatically to the resources instead of having to assign the entire group of tasks to an individual resource. i have hundreds of grouped tasks (and thousands of sub tasks).

thx!

If you select the group task and assign your resource to it, OmniPlan will automatically assign that resource to every task within the group. Then you can click on the "Level" toolbar button and level the project out.

thx! is there a way to restrict the assignment of a grouped task to just one resource? for example, if i have a group of tasks called "assemble LCD" (that has many sub-tasks), is there a way I can make sure that the entire group "assemble LCD" is assigned to 1 single resource instead of multiple resources using the leveling function? hope that makes sense. thx.

If you assign the resource to the group, all the tasks in the group use that resource (unless you explicitly make some additional assignments).

I assigned the Assemble LCD group to Resource 1, and assigned Task 3 in that group to be done by Resource 3 as well as Resource 1.

Where you get somewhat unpredictable assignments is when you assign a resource group to a task group, as seen in the example below: