The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature req. - cloning Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The one feature I would love to see in OmniOutliner is something similar to the "clone" feature in the old outliners ThinkTank/MORE. I've yet to see anyone implement this. I find it invaluable in my organizational outlines. (Note - I remeber it as "clone" but it might have been called something else.)

Cloning a outline item makes a copy of the original that is linked back to the original. If either the copy or the original is changed, the clone immediately (real time) reflects that change (it's not a link in that the clone is a new item, just the data is always the same as another item).

I use large outlines to organize large projects with a myriad of to-dos, tasks, etc. Often more than one section of the outline has the same task (reflecting that different resources are going to be working on the same item). It would be extremely nice if when I changed that item in one section, I didn't have to search everywhere to see where/if another section holds the same item so I can change it there too. Instead, if the item could be cloned, when I changed it in one place, it would change in all the other places it was cloned to.

Other notes:

+ Clones can have their own distinct styles. (Thus a clone could in one part of an outline start at level 1 and thus be bold, but another clone of the same item might be burried deep and be at level 5 thus be italic or something.)

+ Clone command normally clones entire structure of item selected. (Just as copy creates a copy of items selected.)

+ All clones are equal - once created, the linked clones can be changed from any clone - no need to find the originating item.

+ Clones had a slightly modified item marker to indicate that they were different.

Any chance of this ever being added I wonder? It's a lot like the LinkBack feature, but text remaining as editable text in the new link and without the need to find the originating source.

Please send feature requests to us by email, Help -> Send feedback or omnioutliner@omnigroup.com. It will allow us to keep track of the individual requests.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csherrera
The one feature I would love to see in OmniOutliner is something similar to the "clone" feature in the old outliners ThinkTank/MORE. I've yet to see anyone implement this.
Mori and TAO both have clones. I'm hoping OmniOutliner adds it as well (I already sent them an email request on it)

Count me in on this one, this sounds like a great and very useful idea.