The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature: Reorder Flagged list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use both OmniFocus and Things (Mac and iPhone). What I like about the application "Things" is that I can reorder lists via drag&drop. That's extremely powerful, convenient and fast for me. I love OmniFocus, but it has a certain stiffness in some areas. Being able to reorder (and maintain) lists generated via View Bar (i.e. flagged items, or due today) would be awesome.

I assume you're talking about lists in context mode, since items can be manually reordered in planning mode.

Maybe this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but if you set the view bar to unsorted in context mode, the order of the actions is determined by their order in planning mode. Does that make sense?

Again, maybe not exactly what you wanted, but it's a start.

Maybe OmniFocus could have a "Manual" option in the sort menu of the view bar? Switching to that option could allow you to sort in some arbitrary order.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-06-04 at 08:54 PM..

There's a pretty neat script in the Extras section called "Move to top" that doesn't allow drag-and-drop from the context view, but at least allows some basic prioritization.

Thank you, a good start. Whenever I want to procrastinate I just explore some features of OmniFocus ;-)

Last edited by HOLGERdotUS; 2009-06-07 at 04:16 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLGERdotUS View Post
Thank you, a good start. Whenever I want to procrastinate I just explore some features of OmniFocus ;-)
Hmm, you know, after I wrote that I happened to be in context mode and took a closer look at the sorting menu. And it turns out that you actually can't set it to no sort order! There is no option for "none". So maybe this is not solution after all. I'm a little disappointed.

Perhaps OmniFocus uses the action order in planning mode as a secondary sort in context mode? In other words, maybe context mode first sorts by the value in the sort menu of the view bar and then by the order the actions appear in planning mode. I know that's even further from what you originally asked for, and I'm not even sure it works (on my iPhone now so can't verify), but maybe it's something.

You might consider sending in a feature request to Omni too by using the Help -> Send Feedback menu option. That way they can at least look it over and consider the idea for a future release.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Dennis

The default sort order in Context mode is the order of the items from Project mode. The order of projects in Project mode defines the "priority" of their actions.

Curt