The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Email attachments work sporadically--even with cache folder fix Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using the beta2 browser for about 2 weeks and like it very much. I've had problems, though, sending and receiving attachments on my job's web-based email system.

I've read several posts in the forum, and followed one suggestion to add an "OmniWeb" folder to my "caches" folder... Now, I can send attachments all the time, but I can receive attachments only sporadically. Some work, some don't. Why is this happening?

Thanks...

A little more info...

I'm using OW beta2, and identifying as "Firefox for Mac OS X"...

12" PowerBook G4 1.5GhZ, 1.25g RAM, 80g HD... with OS X 10.4.7 (or whatever the most recent one is.)

What happens when you try to save an attachment? Do you see an error?

also, Beta 3 is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
What happens when you try to save an attachment? Do you see an error?

also, Beta 3 is available.

What happens? I don't get a menu dropping down from the link when I click on it. Therefore, I can neither save the attachment nor click on it to open it. Nothing works.

But as I said in the original post. This happens randomly. Some attachments work, others don't.

By the way, I've been able to get attachments from GMail just fine, but tonight, I tried to add an attachment and OmniWeb crashed! WTF?

I downloaded and installed the new beta... I'm still experiencing the same problems with attachments on a web-based MS Outlook Exchange email system. What's the deal?

By the way, I can retrieve some attachments and others I can't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the whole thing.

It's hard for me to say what's going on here. It doesn't sound like you're experiencing the cache folder / POSIX error problem we addressed earlier. Perhaps this happens when trying to download certain file types? Do you see the same problem in WebKit 13302?

<http://nightly.webkit.org/builds/WebKit-SVN-r13302.dmg>

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
It's hard for me to say what's going on here. It doesn't sound like you're experiencing the cache folder / POSIX error problem we addressed earlier. Perhaps this happens when trying to download certain file types? Do you see the same problem in WebKit 13302?

<http://nightly.webkit.org/builds/WebKit-SVN-r13302.dmg>

I'm not really a techie--just a regular gal trying to use some cool new software. Can you tell me what this link is, what it will install, and how I should troubleshoot this problem? Thanks.

OmniWeb is built using a custom version of Apple's open source WebKit framework. The link troy gave you is a program that runs Safari using the version of the framework that is the closest to the version we started with.

The idea is that if a bug also exhibits itself using that version of WebKit--it is a framework bug, if not, it is an OmniWeb bug. This is not so much about blame as helping us track down where we need to fix the problem.

Additionally, if the version of WebKit (r13302 in this case) has the bug and the latest version of WebKit does not, we then know that the bug has already been fixed and so when we grab a later version of WebKit (which we are planning to do for 5.5.1) we may get the fix "for free"[*].

Hope this helps explain the situation.

[*] when a say free I mean after a bunch of work reintegrating our changes with Apple's