The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Review mode and how it changed the review process for me Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm new to Omnifocus but not new to GTD. I've been thinking about how the built in review mode is going to change my review process.

I don't need an overall workflow map which would also show me how to process and organize stuff because I do it well on an autopilot anyway but I do need a map which would show me what to review and when and so far this mind map is what I came up with and what I use daily.

http://i.imgur.com/tjCuP.jpg

It shows how weekly review became an any time process for the most part and that I'm going to review projects in detail whenever they show up in built in review mode instead of reviewing everything at once weekly.

The weekly review process became much more higher level review for the most part.
I think this is more efficient than standard weekly review process because doing everything at once during standard weekly review drains mental energy so much that there's not much left by the end of it to really get creative and explore higher levels and etc.

Last edited by StevenMay; 2011-10-06 at 09:04 PM..

I have a similar mind map that keeps reference to the organization of it all from the topmost level. Since it is higher up in the chain, I refer to it only during monthly or less often reviews, and only then in a framework of "quality of life" decisions. Otherwise, I prefer using a Kanban-type chart as reference during daily / weekly reviews ... http://www.zengobi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1315

I have also found a very helpful habit is to set clearly circumscribed review increments on projects, followed by almost religious daily and weekly review routines. Daily reviews are set on my projects that are ongoing NOW and may have immediate changes on a daily basis. Practical examples are actions lumped generally in each folder as "Chores". Weekly reviews are set on projects that are more stable yet could have gross developments in that time. The renovation project at my father's house is an example. In an emergency though, even certain parts of weekly projects can get pulled out to a daily review schedule. Monthly steps even further in project stability and happens especially for On Hold projects. Finally, the yearly review is set on my Vision statements for each Area of Responsibility (folder).

Daily ... I open my Kanban(s), open OF in Review mode, and track only what might need to be changed (create, delete, modify tasks) on each project before stamping it Mark Reviewed. Then, I go about activating my work schedule for that day (by flagging tasks). Weekly, I summarize and store the Kanban(s), and then strip them down and reorganize to start over for the coming week. I correspondingly open OF and reorient the project schedules, times, and task layouts accordingly.

I admit, it can at times seem like a lot of work. Even I would sometimes rather go play on the Web than tackle the work schedule issues (let alone tackling the actual work load). So some slippage happens. But then, having a framework that, when I put my mind to it, really does GET THINGS DONE keeps the perspective honest and the effort worthwhile.

Seems like you've got a good start yourself ... hope this gives some additional insights.

--
JJW