The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Moving stuff is a mess Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Cosmetic bugs are still bugs, no?
I guess, if you're name's Estee Lauder.

Quote:
I'd refer you to Ken's comment about any given revision not representing the ultimate vision. It isn't a static product, unlike a suit. And for the record, the garments hanging at the end of my closet demonstrate that I prefer a well-tailored suit made from top-drawer fabrics and some occasionally irregular hand stitching to cheaper ones with bargain fabrics, styling, and impeccable machine stitching.
For $1000? I'm sorry, but if you going to support sweat-shops in the Far East that use child labour, you're not half as nice as I thought you were.

Quote:
Yes, I would prefer that the tailor fix the zipper in the fly before worrying about a bit of the lining that didn't get tacked down just right.
I'm assuming you're suggesting that I expose myself and send an xxx pic to Brian. Heck, if it gets things done more quickly, I'm game.

Quote:
Isn't that a bug that manifests itself in portrait mode?
Bah! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
For $1000? I'm sorry, but if you going to support sweat-shops in the Far East that use child labour, you're not half as nice as I thought you were.
Hmm, I should ignore those Made in Italy tags that Canali, Belvest, Zegna, Zanella, et al put in their garments? How about the suits made by the friendly little Sicilian tailor in Milan during my week-long stay, with fittings halfway through the process? That workroom around the corner from the store was just for show, and they were flying the pieces back and forth to Hong Kong?

We're getting WAY off the thread here...pun intended :)

Quote:
We're getting WAY off the thread here...pun intended :)
Who gives a .... ? At least you're keeping me in stitches .... ! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlow
I, too, am disappointed by the Move implementation. Sorting is a basic feature of any GTD organizer and in Omnifocus for iPad it’s just painful. It should be too hard to have at least a Bookmark-type sorting, you know? Click Edit and start moving things around. As it stands you have to drill down on each item to get the Move command. Ugh.
Perhaps I misunderstand what you are looking for, but I have not see anything like what you are describing. To re-order items, no matter how deeply nested the project is (as long as you can see it you are fine), tap and hold on any visible action. Every visible action will acquire drag handles (like clicking an Edit button). Drag items into action groups; drag items between projects; shuffle the order within projects—it’s all there, and no more difficult than CarbonFin with one exception: you can’t make new action groups with this method. You have to start off the action group with at least one “Move” command, but after you do that you can quickly dump a bunch of stuff underneath the new action group. There are only two occasions when I find myself using the Move button, and one of them I'd rather not have to use:
  1. Moving an item long-distance; to some project that isn't currently visible, or way way off the current scroll position. This is fine, and in this case it is a very nice feature.
  2. Creating action groups. This is the one I don't like. Drop targeting like CarbonFin would be the ideal solution.

I’ve seen the “you have to drill down” sentiment expressed for a number of concerns, and I think this might be indicative of a bit of a UI problem. In most cases you don’t have to drill down. Tap and hold (on any item; experiment to see what I mean) accomplishes many things you’d think you have to drill down to do. People seem to think you have to use the Focus feature to do small level tasks, but in most cases you do not. It's a perfectly understandable misunderstanding, which is why I suggest the UI is at fault here. The tap and hold mechanism is invisible except to the initiate, so people gravitate to using a feature (focus) that appears to give them the features they want as buttons or in menus.

Edit: Actually, my memory served me wrong. CarbonFin outliner does not support the creation of new groups via drag. You have to position the item you wish to be a child beneath the item you wish to be its parent, and then select it and tap the arrow key. Still pretty kludgy compared to the desktop experience. TaskPaper seems to have the best drag and drop out of all the outliner style programs I have.

Last edited by AmberV; 2010-08-02 at 04:48 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV View Post
Perhaps I misunderstand what you are looking for ...
I'm wrong here. In my haste, I did not even realize the tap, hold and drag was a feature of moving actions, etc., around, so a lot of my initial "moving" issues have been resolved. I'm going to try to resist posting again till I've spent sufficient time with the app, so I might then at least know what I'm talking about. :-)

Thanks for the reply.

(I'm not the one who mentioned Carbonfin, or whatever–I don't know anything about that program.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV View Post
There are only two occasions when I find myself using the Move button, and one of them I'd rather not have to use:
  1. Moving an item long-distance; to some project that isn't currently visible, or way way off the current scroll position. This is fine, and in this case it is a very nice feature.
  2. Creating action groups. This is the one I don't like. Drop targeting like CarbonFin would be the ideal solution.
Fundamental things I can't do:

- moving an action to a folder or a project that is not expanded. The standard UI expectation of holding it over a closed folder/project, and then have it pop open, does not happen.

EDIT: I just realized you CAN drop it into a collapsed project - but before you do that the UI does not pop open the collapsed project or change the color to visually indicate that this is what is going to happen...

- moving an action in context view. I don't get any handles for moving.

These and others make moving a frustrating experience. Please tell me what I am missing, or confirm that the general consensus is that this functionality will be much improved. Should eventually be able to move an action to a different project on the sidebar, no?

Last edited by BK0001; 2010-08-02 at 10:17 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK0001 View Post
Fundamental things I can't do:

- moving an action in context view. I don't get any handles for moving.
That isn't an operation that any version of OmniFocus supports. The arrangement in Context mode is entirely determined by the grouping and sorting choices, or sidebar order if none is applied.

Quote:
That isn't an operation that any version of OmniFocus supports. The arrangement in Context mode is entirely determined by the grouping and sorting choices, or sidebar order if none is applied.
OK. I guess. So this begs the questions:

- on my iPad how do I change the sorting choices of the actions under contexts?
- I am looking to drag an action from one context to another. Does it not make sense to have a consistent UI so I can drag actions among contexts just like I can do actions among projects (sometimes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK0001 View Post
- on my iPad how do I change the sorting choices of the actions under contexts?
Actions in context lists are currently ordered based on their order in your project list, i.e. actions from earlier projects show up earlier in the list. (We do see the value of being able to create arbitrarily ordered lists of actions from multiple projects, but I'm afraid there isn't any way to do that at the moment.)

Quote:
- I am looking to drag an action from one context to another. Does it not make sense to have a consistent UI so I can drag actions among contexts just like I can do actions among projects (sometimes)
It certainly does make sense, and we've implemented that in our more mature Mac product. But there's a simple alternative (just tap on the action and assign a different context to it), so we didn't think we needed to hold back the iPad app's 1.0 release to include that option.

Thanks for the reply, Ken. You guys sure have been working hard. Look forward to seeing how the UI becomes more fully realized under the big multi-touch iPad interface. I'm sure you have feedback on lots of possible priorities to already.