The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Showing specific outlines at boot up Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A behaviour I am trying to recreate from CP Notebook is the ability to show specific named documents when my Mac starts up.

While OmniOutliner has the ability to show the outlines that were open when it was closed, this relies on me never closing my favourite outlines, one of which is my main To Do list.

Since I'm always closing windows that are not in use from any application, I thought the easiest thing to do was put an alias in the Dock to my To Do list. I then marked it as 'Open at login' hoping this would put it on the screen in the mornings.

Instead, my Mac launched TextEdit which then tried (and failed) to open the outline.

After closing TextEdit and clicking on my alias, OmniOutliner duly opened my To Do list just fine.

I had thought to minimise my To Do list and train myself not to close it there, but OmniOutliner then opens it minimised, so not presenting it on the screen with my Calendar in all its glory.

Is this something other people have attempted?

You can easily do this with just about any document-based application. Open up System Preferences, select Accounts, choose the appropriate user, click on the Login Items tab, then the "+" button to add the document(s) you want opened at login time, just like you would an application. See "login items" in the System Preferences help for more information.

If instead of opening a document when you login, you would rather have it happen on a schedule, iCal can open documents as an alarm action. For example, earlier this month I awoke to find an OO checklist on my screen of all the clocks and timers that needed adjustment thanks to the Daylight Savings Time changeover.

Thank you, that worked perfectly!

I like the idea of scheduling a list at a particular time, I shall look into that further.