The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do dates in iCal show up in OF, only when... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Yeah, I have to put all my hardlandscape dated steps twice - once in OF and once in iCal - I gave up a while ago on iCal syncing in OF - not sure what use it is. This entering stuff twice getting to be a pain in the butt.

You might want to take a look at LifeBalance. It syncs dated todos as all day events and appointments as blocked out events in iCal. Seems to work pretty well, although it has other issues, like it's iPhone syncing seeming to be more machine specific as opposed to MobileMe syncing (think Palm OS syncing), no tagging and the interface is very mouse driven as it hasn't really changed since system 7 & Newton.

It does have a built in calender, but it's less useful than you'd think (least on the Desktop version - haven't tried the iPhone version yet), it's worth trying out the demo to see how other folks do it.

I've tried to help out Omni with the iCal syncing issues, but I think someone there must have been traumatized by a calender salesman, as their opposition seems to have gone beyond the rational.

Let's hope v2 fixes this issue - might have to go back to LifeBalance (and not for the first time! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedphil View Post
Yeah, I have to put all my hardlandscape dated steps twice - once in OF and once in iCal - I gave up a while ago on iCal syncing in OF - not sure what use it is. This entering stuff twice getting to be a pain in the butt.
As one suggestion, you might want to take a look at some of the scripts posted at the end of this thread. More than likely the script may need a little tweaking to set it up to fit how you work, but it beats entering everything twice. If I have a task that needs a hard place on my calendar, I run the script, drag and drop the to-do (in iCal) to the appropriate date, add the start time and duration, and then delete the to-do in iCal. The task stays as is in OmniFocus.

I like the way OF works with iCal.
I have a set of actions that sync across to iCal, some with start dates a couple of weeks before the due date.
When in iCal planning my week I can drag the to-do multiple times into the spaces between meetings, so that I progress the action through the week.
I have to set some "hard" time for some of these actions otherwise they never get done...

when the action is complete, then tick it in iCal and OF deals with it.

Cheers
Paul