The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

show iCal events in OF by day Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As I look at my list in OF, I'd like to see a listing of today's appointments, ie iCal events. can this be done. I have no need for iCal tasks, just events.

You want a script you can run that will import all of the calendar events for today as OmniFocus events? What would you expect to see as the project and context? I've got an event on my calendar for today:

Classroom volunteer
Computer lab

from 8:15 AM
to 9:15 AM

Attendees: me

Calendar: School volunteer work

What does that look like in OmniFocus?

Just to be clear, asking these questions does not in any way, shape, or form constitute offering to write the script, but if you paint a sufficiently compelling picture that it sounds like something I'd want for myself, I would certainly share such a script...

The project would be "schedule", no need for a context. It would just show the title of the appointment the time and any note in chronological order.

EX:

John Smith 10:00 AM discuss sales
Dentist 2:30PM check up
Alisa 7PM dinner at Arbys

You want a script you can run that will import all of the calendar events for today as OmniFocus events? What would you expect to see as the project and context? I've got an event on my calendar for today:

Classroom volunteer
Computer lab

from 8:15 AM
to 9:15 AM

Attendees: me

Calendar: School volunteer work

What does that look like in OmniFocus?

Just to be clear, asking these questions does not in any way, shape, or form constitute offering to write the script, but if you paint a sufficiently compelling picture that it sounds like something I'd want for myself, I would certainly share such a script...[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllewis@mac.com View Post
As I look at my list in OF, I'd like to see a listing of today's appointments, ie iCal events. can this be done. I have no need for iCal tasks, just events.
This could be beaten a fair bit with the GTD drum (and has, many times ;-) but there's a real difference between events and tasks. The former have a specific time; the latter don't necessarily (they may have a due date). iCal can do both; OmniFocus only deals with the latter. It might be possible to whip up a script but there _will_ be gaps, and functionality is never going to be great. It truly is best to enter events (meetings, calls, appointments, etc.) in iCal and use its alarms, etc., and enter tasks in OmniFocus, and separate the two. Yes, there are two areas you have to manage/monitor, but this is what's recommended in a GTD approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
This could be beaten a fair bit with the GTD drum (and has, many times ;-) but there's a real difference between events and tasks. The former have a specific time; the latter don't necessarily (they may have a due date). iCal can do both; OmniFocus only deals with the latter. It might be possible to whip up a script but there _will_ be gaps, and functionality is never going to be great. It truly is best to enter events (meetings, calls, appointments, etc.) in iCal and use its alarms, etc., and enter tasks in OmniFocus, and separate the two. Yes, there are two areas you have to manage/monitor, but this is what's recommended in a GTD approach.
Yeah, it's certainly not pure GTD, but if someone wants to see their tasks with their known hard landscape items sprinkled in the mix, it seems like a somewhat better fit than trying to get a calendar view with all of one's OF obligations, especially given that OF's view sculpting abilities outshine iCal's. I almost always have many more OF tasks in any given period than hard landscape items, though your mileage may vary...

That said, I haven't become so enamored of the idea that I've put keyboard to window and cobbled up the necessary script :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
I understand the GTD drum and I agree. . . Ical should be used as my calendar, not Omni-focus. But, I'd love to have a CONTEXT called, "Appointments" that auto fills each day with only that day's appointments. The reason for this, is so I can simply see my schedule in a perspective in Omni and not have to switch back and forth from Ical to omni when all I need to do is look at my day.

I would still use my calendar to input all of my appointments and to reference future dates, but the script puts a copy of today's events right where my eyes are constantly looking to make real time decisions about "Today."

So, I'd put them in a project called, "today's schedule" and a context called, "schedule." The due date and time would be in the due date and time field. It would be flagged (this puts them in my Today perspective). The actual start time, end time and main text of the appointment would be in the main task field.

Any thoughts on this style of using omni?