The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus Web App alive and kickin'! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk2 View Post
Alternatively keeping a copy of your OF database remotely and then syncing the two may work, but would be fairly involved (without digging into the OF file format things could break quite messily).
Would it be possible to store the database on an iDisk so that no syncing would be involved? I travel quite a bit and only have a laptop that I can't leave on at home/office, does anyone have any suggestions on whether or not this would work?

modsquad1978: storing on an iDisk will work fine as long as you only need to access your data from a machine that already has OmniFocus installed. You may notice a bit of lag though, by not having your data locally.

However, there's no way to use the web app directly with a database on an iDisk, because the web app talks to OmniFocus, not directly to the database. So OmniFocus has to be running somewhere for you to view and modify your data.

Couple of quick questions...

1) Is there a way to set up the ruby server to run when I login to my computer, and also, without the terminal window open all the time? Please be pretty specific, I can follow instructions but don't know a damn thing about AppleScript, etc.

2) Someone else mentioned an icon... I'm very curious to use this as well, instructions would be appreciated.

I love this, btw. This is what made me decide to do go ahead and buy OmniFocus as a system I couldn't use on the go was worthless to me. Thanks a lot for keeping it alive!

The instructions are pretty clear, btw... but you may want to include the bit about the login/etc.

I'm on Leopard 10.5.2 with Dev Tools installed, but when I try "ruby script/server", I get this in Terminal

Code:
./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/hash.rb:2:in `require': no such file to load -- ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/hash/indifferent_access (LoadError)
	from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/hash.rb:2
	from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext.rb:1:in `require'
	from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext.rb:1
	from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext.rb:1:in `each'
	from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext.rb:1
	from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support.rb:31:in `require'
	from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support.rb:31
	from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/commands/server.rb:1:in `require'
	from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/commands/server.rb:1
	from script/server:3:in `require'
	from script/server:3
Is there anything I have to install beforehand?

I've got the same issue here as hagure. This bug has repeatedly been reported on RubyForge but it seems this app is dead. What a shame. :(

Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for everything everyone has done on this. I really appreciate it!

I have followed the instructions, and I can access the web-OF when I type http://localhost:3000, but how do I access this from my iPhone, using EDGE?

Localhost doesn't work, and when I type in my router's IP, it doesn't work.

In IP Forwarding, it says I need the following information:

Name - The name for the service being provided by the device on your LAN that uses the ports being opened.
IP Address - The server computer on the LAN network that the specified ports will be opened to.
Application Name - This contains a list of pre-defined services.
Computer Name - This contains a list of the devices on your network which have obtained an IP Address from the router.
Public Port - The port number that users on the Internet will use to access the defined service.
Private Port - The port number of the service being hosted by the server computer on the LAN.

What do I put for "Name" and "Application Name"?

Also, is "Public Port" and "Private Port" both set to 3000?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bryan
Traffic Type - The protocol used by the service the device on your LAN is providing.

I got tired of launching a terminal & typing stuff manually, so I made a couple of lil helper apps you can download here:

http://barrettnewton.com/dont_delete/Launch_OF.zip

There are 2 files in that zip file:

1. run_ruby.command
This is a very simple terminal command that launches the ruby script/server. This assumes that your copy of the omnifocus ruby app is located at the root of your user's home folder. Change it as necessary.
~/omnifocus

2. Launch Omnifocus Terminal App.app (automator action)
This will launch the above file & then hide the resulting terminal window. This file assumes that the run_ruby.command is stored in the omnifocus ruby app folder:
~/omnifocus/run_ruby.command
This automator action is not required, but it's nice to have the whole thing activate then hide the terminal.

I have no idea how to make a terminal process run as a daemon (invisible...) which would be nice to have this run in the background without terminal appearing as an open app, but this is at least a little time saver.

This all assumes that omnifocus is already running. Change the script if you also want it to launch Omnifocus itself.

I was wondering if there was a way to change the display mode from Context to project?

Also is there an update to the Fav icon for the iphone.

Other than that great software absolutely love it.

Quote:
I have no idea how to make a terminal process run as a daemon (invisible...) which would be nice to have this run in the background without terminal appearing as an open app, but this is at least a little time saver.
When you run the ruby terminal command...
ruby script/server
you can add a d flag on the command to make it detach from your terminal window.
ruby script/server -d

you can then close the terminal program and still access the web app as long as omnifocus is running.

To quit the web app run /applications/utilities/activity monitor.app and search for a ruby process running in under your login name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
modsquad1978: storing on an iDisk will work fine as long as you only need to access your data from a machine that already has OmniFocus installed. You may notice a bit of lag though, by not having your data locally.

However, there's no way to use the web app directly with a database on an iDisk, because the web app talks to OmniFocus, not directly to the database. So OmniFocus has to be running somewhere for you to view and modify your data.
Darn. For a while there, it was looking like the web app might just provide what I'm looking for: a way to access Omnifocus for iPhone via AppleScript, or another API.

I'm still hoping to be able to access Omnifocus for iPhone to send things from Outlook, Entourage, QuickSilver, etc. That would be a *killer* feature.

That said, this web app looks like a pretty neat idea too. I hope development continues.