The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

[sp4] Memory leak?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I agree that it's Java related, that's why I have JavaNativeCrash.log's blaming OW :) I see no text input issues, just memory violations. :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEGM9X
[...]

It's http://apple.com/getamac/ads/ that consistently crashes SP7 :) I can now say that it will do this while there is no paging going on, and no use of the swap, and while there is still plenty shared memory. If I'm lucky, and it doesn't trash the native java, then I can report the crash and force quit, but the memory that was consumed by OW is not released back into the pool, obviously, that can only happen so many times. Don't worry, I'm supplying the necessary feedback by email :D

[...]

In terms of stability, and memory footprint, I see no improvement, and those things have now got to be a priority.
Right now, stability is my number one priority.

You may not be seeing improvements in stability because I may not have tracked down your particular crashes yet, but we are making progress. Getting reproducible crash reports is key so please send those in!

I just tracked down a crasher in our keychain support (caused by freeing memory in the wrong order while trying to reduce memory footprint) that has been in OW for 2 years but we hadn't been able to reproduce it reliably until this week--and it is now fixed in sp9!

Finally, two notes: First, there have been bugs in quicktime that caused us to crash starting in Quicktime 7.0. The same app with Quicktime 6.0.x installed did not crash. Second, if an application crashes or quits, there should not be any way for it to continue to consume memory--if it is, that is an OS bug.

Computer says no to deliberately crashing ;) and security says no to providing core dumps :) However stability in OW is my number one priority too, and I will continue to send in what crash reports I get.

The keychain problem raises an eyebrow, as I have mine set to lock after 1 minute, and on sleeping.

I had moved to QT7 just before I moved to Tiger, and I experienced more than the occasional crash, this continued until I went to SP7, then it was back to the occasional crash again.

I appreciate that 3rd party application development finds bugs which sometimes exist in the OS, and work-arounds can be a pain. I alerted Apple, but all they said was that Java is not involved :rolleyes: lol, there's nothing more buggy than a human reviewer. :D

The best I can do for you now is to try the same things with SP9 and report back.

I notice that behaviour only with 1 site (www.flavormix.de) that provides an audio stream (flash). Inactive memory grows and grows, and after about 1 hour Active mem jumps to 0.7 GB, Free becomes nearly 0 and pageouts from 0 rises to ten thousands.

That's not OmniWeb only, SAME IN SAFARI :confused: :confused:

woohoo! I was able to view the ads using SP9 without crashing :D well done!

bah, kiss of dead that last post :( After I made it started a download, suspended it, and then put the computer to sleep, it crashed on wake :(

What's more, I lost the cursor and right click in this window, even after a reboot, however, resetting hot keys solved that.