The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Total Duration By Date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been trying to figure out a way to show the total estimated time allotted to all tasks for a given day. This would be extremely helpful for avoiding over tasking myself. The best I can tell there is no way to this. Am I missing something or should this be submitted as a feature request?

Well, there's a problem with your request: what does it mean for a task to be allotted for a given day? Due that day? Starts that day? Starts before that day and due after that day? Part of a project that is due that day, or starts that day, or ...?

A better solution is to choose the tasks you want summed up, and run a script to give you the total. Don't forget that adage of "garbage in, garbage out" — your total will only be as good as the individual estimates included, and you'll want to watch out for tasks which don't have an estimate!

You can find such a script at http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...6&postcount=14 which will handle a selection of arbitrary tasks (earlier versions in the thread were aimed at summing the time needed for a given project).

Oh sorry, you are right about start and due dates. My mistake.

The way I work is that I never use start dates for tasks. I simply assign a due date that I want/need to get the task done. So, in my case it would be the total duration of all items due on a given day.

Thanks for pointing me to that script. I will check it out.