The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AdBlock plugin for OmniWeb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all, I made a hack to Safari Adblock plugin so that it works for OmniWeb too.
Current OmniWeb has an Ad Block feature, and this plugin makes it possible to automatically update the filter list from Adblock Lists

Install SIMBL; Download, unzip and copy Safari AdBlock.bundle to /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/

For OmniWeb 5.x users, run following commands in Terminal to activate Safari AdBlock for OmniWeb:
Code:
defaults write -app OmniWeb ABIsEnabled -int 1
defaults write -app OmniWeb ABSubscriptions -array -string en
defaults write -app OmniWeb OWAddressFilteringEnabled -int 1
  • works for Safari & Webkit too
  • no preference UI in OmniWeb, turn on/off by using built-in AdBlock switch of OW
  • built-in ad block of OmniWeb still works, use that as customized block list if you wish
  • only tested on OSX 10.6.3 / OW 5.10.2-r128512, should be ok for earlier versions though

more info

Last edited by frex; 2010-04-05 at 09:44 PM..

hi,

Thank for this hack,.
Before reboot, AdBlock does not block anything (plug-in was loaded in OW).
Work fine with MacOS 10.5/OW 5.10.2 v622.11.0.133543 now.
How can i subscribe or delete a list without UI ?

Best regards.

I have ABS installed for Safari but I can't make it work for OmniWeb.
I have entered it a bunch of different ways, but no luck, what am I doing wrong. I enabled full page zoom in the terminal and it works but not Add Block Plus.
I admit using the terminal is new to me.
Please Help...

Thanks
Dan

Looks like this really works! After running the command on Terminal (I've already got the AdBlock plugin installed in SIMBL) I disabled AdSubtract.css and Glimmer Blocker and the ads are still invisible. Thanks for this!

Brilliant, thank you. Worked first time on vintage iMac.

Aha! SIMBL doesn't play with Tiger; is there a workaround?

Last edited by thundernerd; 2012-01-29 at 07:08 AM..

Thanks for providing such a great info. It's only for safari? If I am using Firefox than it's not working for it. So you please suggest same for firefox and other browsers?

Current OmniWeb has an ad-block feature, and this plugin makes it possible to automatically update the filter list from EasyList and etc. Install SIMBL if not yet.