The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Could someone explain how to move OF to a new mac? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using OmniFocus for a couple of months now on my 12" pb. I finally took the intel plunge with a new iMac, but I can't seem to get my OF data onto my new mac.

If someone could post the steps, I can make sure I'm not making a stupid mistake before sending omni feedback. I haven't had any luck creating a database and restoring that database on my new iMac.

Thanks in advance.

You just need to copy the directory ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/ to the same location on your new mac. If you want to keep your preferences, then also copy ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist to your new mac.

Zedboy, that did the trick. Thanks!

Since we're linking to this thread from the FAQ, I should mention that is now a lot easier. Rather than needing to find the database file yourself, we've added options to the preferences pane to move it for you.

Open the General pane of OmniFocus' preferences on the source machine - the one you want to move your database 'from'.
Press the "Move to a New Location..." button in the Database section of the window.
Select the location you'd like to move your database to - some folks put their database on a USB drive so they can take it with them to work, for example. Other folks put the database on their iDisk or some other network location that both machines can see.

(Keep in mind that writing to a network location is much slower than writing to a drive attached to your machine directly. Your mileage may vary.)

In any case, press the Move button, and OmniFocus will move your database to the new location.

Once the file is moved, OmniFocus on the source machine will know to look in the new location. For the destination machine - the one you want to move your database 'to', the procedure is a little different.

Note: the following procedure will replace the existing database on your destination machine. You're essentially telling OmniFocus 'hey, I want to use this database instead.' Proceed with caution. ;-)

Open the General preferences pane again, but this time, press the "Select a Different Database..." button.

Locate and select your OmniFocus database in the sheet that slides out, then press the "Open" button.

OmniFocus on your destination machine will now look for your database in the location you chose in the previous step.

Hope this helps!

I tried this on 2 machines that had FileVault turned on and it didn't work. The only way to copy the database is to put it onto a USB key from the original Mac and then copy from that key to the new Mac.

Thanks.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here... but there may be an easy solution: Just choose "Back up Database" from the file menu... then take that file to your other computer...open omnifocus and then choose "Revert to Database Backup", choosing the file you just backed up from your other computer :) Then you should have the exact same database on both computers.

Hope that helps!