The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mind Mapping in OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Have you guys thought about adding a visual mindmapping solution to OmniFocus.(like x-mind, or mindmanager). even if it was just an alternate way to view your projects and Data?

I like the fast entry and context sorting in omnifocus, but there is something really nice about the visualization tree method, it really is just a nice way to see the big picture in a visually organized way.

What is the purpose of mind mapping? I've seen mind mapping charts but just how are these supposed to help you do stuff I'm very visual but I'm not quite getting "it" about mind maps.

I tried to use such software once and quickly realized that this kaleidoscope just not for me. If I need to see the big picture of some process I'd use OmniGraffle. And the iPhone implementation would be painful.

Last edited by savan7; 2009-05-29 at 09:20 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolajl View Post
What is the purpose of mind mapping? I've seen mind mapping charts but just how are these supposed to help you do stuff I'm very visual but I'm not quite getting "it" about mind maps.
See http://www.novamind.com/ and click on the What is a Mind Map? tab below the text with yellow background.

Hope this helps

Bob

That was a great presentation and answered the question, my question too, about the uses of mind mapping. Thanks for sharing it. John

i've been a user of novamind on and off for a few years - my typical workflow goes like this
  • 'brainstorm ideas' into nova mind
  • play around with the mind map untl it looks right or i can't take it further
  • export the mind map fom nova mind as an .opml file
  • open it up in omnioutliner for further refinement
  • export outline to word processor for further refinement

i don't really see how this would involve omnifocus, but i guess the opml file could probably (although i've never tried it) be imported or inserted into omnifocus.

but mind-mapping inside omnifocus? i think that would make it a very strange creature.

I'm not sure my mind is mappable.

J.

I use Novamind and Omnifocus but we don't need an attempt at merging functionality. The two progs do what they do really well, hybrids are always a compromise.

Novamind has become superb mindmapper, very powerful for developing concepts and getting ducks in a row, and actually identifying next actions and where they sit in a project, I find mapping helps me identify critical areas and flows. I have a visual but cluttered mind.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolajl View Post
I've been doing a manual mind map...I take the big projects on my plate and center them around the month. I leave it on my desk, and it really helps my boss "see" what I'm working on. And it helps keep a big picture view of what I should be working on. Very handy for the weekly review as well....Once an item on the map is complete I draw a big green Check through it. You really don't get the full scope of how much work something is in a flat list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mind map.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	936  

Tim Springer published a recent article on "How I use OmniFocus" where he lays out his OmniFocus projects and contexts as mind maps. It strikes me that it would be incredibly powerful for OmniFocus to offer a mind map view. And it would be all the more powerful if the mind map view offered editing. Right now, I'm laying everything out in MindNode Pro and then manually synchronizing with OmniFocus.