The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ad block in OmniWeb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd appreciate a bit of advice. I've never been able to get Adblock to work correctly in OmniWeb.

Let's say I wanted to go to block the OMNI logo at the top of the forums. The url is:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/images/o...ilogolarge.gif

Why doesn't adding *\.gif* to the blocked URLs list get rid of the image? ("From blocked URLs" is checked.) *omnigroup* doesn't work, either. Where am I going wrong?

(This is on the 5.5 "sneaky peek", but I had the same issues with 5.1; I just checked to make sure. This is so obvious that I'm just going to assume I'm doing it wrong, not that it's a bug.)

It would be /.\*.gif I believe (at least that is what works for .swf).

However, the easiest way by far to block specific images is to control-click the image and select Filter Image from the contextual menu (it may be in the Image sub-heading). If you want to make it less specific, open the Blocked URLs list and trim back the automatically regexpressed URL to the level you want.

Edit: Made a typo (see later posts). This should have been /.*\.gif

Last edited by JKT; 2006-08-12 at 10:25 AM..

Thanks for that tip Jonathan.

you could always use a custom CSS sheet and tell OW to use that for the default pages.

Look for it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
However, the easiest way by far to block specific images is to control-click the image and select Filter Image from the contextual menu (it may be in the Image sub-heading).
Hrm. I tried that and it wasn't blocked. :/ Tried reloading, tried restarting OmniWeb.

Is there anything else I could be doing wrong? Should I post a bug report or something on the sneaky peek board?

Do you have anything in your White List? If you have anything related to the filtered URL, could it be superseding your filter in the Black List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Do you have anything in your White List? If you have anything related to the filtered URL, could it be superseding your filter in the Black List?
Nothing. Here are some screenshots to demonstrate my attempt to block the OMNI logo:

My preference pane

My black and white lists

This is with 5.1. 5.5 is concurrently installed, but I had this sort of trouble before.

Edit: fixed second link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Randroid
Nothing. Here are some screenshots to demonstrate my attempt to block the OMNI logo:

My preference pane

My black and white lists

This is with 5.1. 5.5 is concurrently installed, but I had this sort of trouble before.

Edit: fixed second link
What happens if you remove all the entries in your black list except for the Omni logo?

Hey, that worked - thanks! Was there something objectionable about something else on the list?

We have a bug that if one item in the black list doesn't correctly parse as a regular expression, all following items are ignored (or is it all items--I forget).

It's on our internal list of bugs, but since it was true in 5.1, it's not a priority for 5.5 until all the 5.1 features work again.