The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Find Projects without Next Actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
You can already do this in OF right now. You can group items by due dates and then filter it by time estimate. If you expand only the overdue items and collapse all the others and save it as a perspective, then you can get back to this quickly.
Perspectives, which I find very useful, bring you close, but not all the way. For one thing, Perspectives require a new window (or reusing your current one and then resetting it to your previous view).

However, that's not my point. The fact that Perspectives can solve one of my examples isn't a reason to dismiss the concept of smart folders/mailboxes. Journler has the best implementation of smart folders I've seen. They're hierarchical, and inherit from their parent, so you can set up stuff like

Places to...
... Go
...... Distant
...... Local
... Eat

"...... Distant" will contain only items which would appear in "... Go" and in "Places to...". This means I can use categories of "Places to Go", "Places to Eat", and add keywords of "Distant" and "Local", and they appear in the right places.

Further, it means I can move "...... Local" from "... Go" to "... Eat" and, without editing my smart mailbox criteria itself, I can now see "Places to Eat Local".

It also means I can select "... Go" and see both Places to Go Distant and Places to Go Local, for planning a road trip (e.g.)

I just want this power with OF.

Last edited by jasong; 2007-11-19 at 08:06 PM..

Not being able to pick out projects without a NA continues to be a hole in my system. If there was a easy way to identify projects without a next action (yellow highlight, a special smart folder, a perspective), then I could relax and not over plan. Instead of having to switch from context mode into project mode to add NA's before you cross something off, you could rest assured that at regular intervals you could make sure that all of you projects have next actions.

Projects with concrete Next Actions are the essence of GTD. This seems like it should be a core feature of OmniFocus.

Please cast a vote or shout out if you agree.

Thanks,
Steve