The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus wont launch any more Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can no longer get OmniFocus to launch, not from Dock icon, application folder, anywhere. Background = have several versions of OF as ran it as a trail before buying license. Also use sneaky peak on iphone. Tried to update every time got e mail prompt, and they just failed. Asked at Omnifocus support and they kindly send a description of what should happen when you download, but doesnt.

They suggested I get rid of all the old copies of downloads in the downloads folder. Which I did. Now I cant get it to launch, even though I have taken all the trashed download files and put them back where they were. I'm getting a number of error messages, depending on which of a number of OmniFocus icons I click.
These messages include:
1: "OmniFocus could not read this database, because it is not in a known format. Perhaps it has been upgraded by a newer version"
2: "the application OmniFocus 77.10.0.104538 cannot be launched - 10810"
this message comes up whichever application icon i select, of which there are several, the number ust changes depending on the version ...
Also I have noticed that there is no longer an OmniFocus image in 'devices' .
I have tried to re load the software, and it downloads, but doesnt seem to copy anywhere, just goes up in smoke!
can anyone help - I've lost everything!
Thanks

Step 1: relax, it's going to be fine :-)

You've got a variety of different versions there, apparently, including one from 1.0.3 (or earlier) which uses a different format for the database and will complain as you report if your database has been upgraded for use with the later versions that support the iPhone. So, let's just get rid of every copy of OmniFocus you can find, then install the right one.

First, quit OmniFocus if it is running.

Go to your Applications folder. If there is a copy of OmniFocus there, throw it in the trash.

Go to your Desktop. If there is a copy of OmniFocus there, throw it in the trash.

Go to your Downloads folder. If there is a copy of OmniFocus there, throw it in the trash.

If OmniFocus is in your dock, click and hold on the OmniFocus icon to get the popup menu, then select Show in Finder. When it does so, throw that copy in the trash.

If you can think of any other places where you might have put a copy of OmniFocus, go there and trash those as well.

As a final check, do a Spotlight search for OmniFocus and see if it reveals any more copies of the application. If it does, you know what to do :-)

Now go back to the OmniFocus web page and download the latest Sneaky Peek version (here is a link) and install the application in the Application folder.

Launch OmniFocus from your Application folder. Report back on whether or not everything works. It should. The software updater ought to work properly in the future, too.

Just to clarify a bit on installing the application once you have downloaded it:

If you do not automatically get a new window (and OmniFocus in your "devices" section of the Finder window), double-click on the file that was downloaded, which should get you that window.

Go to the OmniFocus window in the Finder that was created for you. Click the little oval button in the upper right hand corner of the window title bar, which should give you the devices and folders list along the left hand side of the window. Drag the OmniFocus application from there to the Application folder listed in the devices and folders list. After that is complete, click the eject button next to OmniFocus in the devices list.

Thanks whpalmer4, just to clarify - the OmniFocis device diossapeared hours ago ... is that significant?
Also, Have tried to re load the software as you describe but although it shows in my download folder, irt wont actiually DO anything when I click 'open' ... are you saying that if I delete all the Omnfocus versions, it will then download and launch?
Also (oh this is never ending, sorry) some of the files are documents - they are .tbz files? Does that mean anything to you ad should I delete them?

thanks again. tb

whpalmer4 - YESSSSS!!!! Thank you soo much, fantastic, it worked!
I realise that you pronbably never will need blonde help, but will try and do a good deed for soeone who does, to balance the booksl I hope that eny help you ever need is given in a clear and friendly way, just like yours. I thank you. In danger of gushing ... tb