The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Needed Features before 1.0 release Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I thought I will create a thread where people can post their top priorities for features before 1.0 release.

For me,

MUST: (not in the order of priority)

1. indication for existing actions in projects and contexts (right now I can't tell if I have any actions assigned to any of my project/context unless I click on it).
2. better printing support for printing actions/outlines/projects
3. column resizing

NICE:

1. ability to pass alarm setting to iCal so that iCal can trigger the alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
(right now I can't tell if I have any actions assigned to any of my project/context unless I click on it)
There is one way, as far as contexts go: setting the first view bar selector to "Active Contexts." (Contexts with no actions will disappear.)

I imagine you're envisioning a different solution, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
There is one way, as far as contexts go: setting the first view bar selector to "Active Contexts." (Contexts with no actions will disappear.)
Well, THAT'S awesome. I had no idea.

And this tip works whether you're in Planning Mode or Context mode. COOL! That means that in Planning Mode I can designate all my back burner projects to be On Hold, change the View to Active Projects, and presto my list is decreased.

Thanks!!!

And if you set a start date in the future for a project, it automatically becomes a Pending project. It will become Active once the start date arrives. I use this to postpone projects when I have too much on my plate and the project isn't urgent; if you set the start date to your next weekly review, you can decide then whether to leave it Active or make it Pending once more.

The instructions I wrote to go into the plist and manually resize columns no longer seem to work and/or are invalid, so I am deleting my post. Perhaps a change to the code since I last resized my columns? Don't know...

Last edited by bosskev; 2007-10-03 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Information no longer valid

"Another leading GTD application" developed the ability to integrate with Apple's Mail.app a long time ago (not to mention additional integration with a virtual "who's who" list of other popular task- and data-oriented applications). This is, for me, the one still-missing killer feature, an absolute "gotta have".

Indeed, lacking Mail.app integration is the one thing that keeps me from fully embracing OF. Yeah, I know it is supposedly coming, at least according to the ancient FAQ, but I get nervous when I see a lot of other (what I feel are superfluous) features getting major attention and this one mission-critical function getting left behind--and not even mentioned on the OF Overview page as a planned feature.

--bosskev

Last edited by bosskev; 2007-10-03 at 12:53 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosskev View Post
The instructions I wrote to go into the plist and manually resize columns no longer seem to work and/or are invalid, so I am deleting my post.
Interesting. I don't know what method you used in your instructions, but I open the plist in a Property List Editor and change the settings. That worked fine for me just now.

For various reasons I have shun mail.app and iCal for the last 1 1/2 years, instead using Thunderbird with a calendar extension.

Mail and calendar integration would sure be nice, but it should be made more generic than working with mail.app and iCal.app only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006 View Post
Interesting. I don't know what method you used in your instructions, but I open the plist in a Property List Editor and change the settings. That worked fine for me just now.
Great. Care to share what you did. If this is the case, it shouldn't be difficult for Omni folks to give us a preference set up where we can resize the column width?

Chalk it up as one more suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Great. Care to share what you did. If this is the case, it shouldn't be difficult for Omni folks to give us a preference set up where we can resize the column width?

Chalk it up as one more suggestion.
Sure, and Omni is planning on providing the ability to resize columns -- see http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...8907#post18907.

1. Download Pref Setter from versiontracker.com and use it to open "com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist" (in the home "Preferences" folder).

NOTE: You might want to make a backup of the plist first.

2. Add a "Key" at the top level using one (or more) of the names that Xmas gave in this post.

3. Set the "Class" to "Number" and the "Value" to whatever you want. For example, I used "200" for the "ContextColumnWidth".

4. Save plist. Close OF and reopen. See if you like the width you chose. If not, rinse and repeat.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...02&postcount=8 -- Ignore the perspective part; OF now allows that in the program itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006 View Post
What I have done to name my perspectives is to download Pref Setter from versiontracker.com and use it to open "com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist" (in my home "Preferences" folder). One setting (called a "Key") is "Saved Perspectives." If you drill down, you will find a name for each perspective and can edit it.

You can also delete individual perspectives. That might help until Omni includes the renaming and managing features planned.

P.S. You can also set column widths while you're there, but you have to add keys for that using the names that Xmas gave in an earlier post. That's how I found this work-around. I didn't want to use terminal to set the column width defaults.
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...16&postcount=9 -- There is also a Property List Editor in the Apple Developer Applications Utilities (if you have the Developer Tools).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
dhm2006: Thanks for the tip! I have Developer Tools installed so I'll use Preference List Editor.

Last edited by dhm2006; 2007-10-04 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: Added the url for the original column width thread.