The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automatically change review date for projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's my workflow, in Omnifocus, for the first parts of both the daily and the weekly review. The first parts are the same for both the daily review and the weekly review.

(this may not map 100% to the canonical GTD workflow, I'm just focusing on OF's functionality).

Precondition: I've already gathered inputs from all my various inboxes (usually there is very little of this, most of my inputs and captures come right into my OF inbox via OF iPhone, Jott/Twitter, and from my wife via email).

1) Get In to Empty (at least once, perhaps more than once a day)
Here, I'm going through my OmniFocus inbox.

Two minute rule in play, so I might make a couple calls or complete a couple things right now and mark them done.

For the rest, I have to decide where, in my project list, each item belongs. Some might wind up on a singleton list, but for most, they'll either relate to an outcome I've already identified, or they'll relate to a new outcome, which I'll create. The typeahead feature in the inbox's project list helps me to quickly find the existing projects and create new ones if needed.
During the weekly review, of course, I'll do it all in one sitting.

But sometimes, #1 is all I'll be able to do until a bit later. I might actually do step #1 once, twice or perhaps even three times in a day. (I'll confess to processing my inbox as procrastination).

If I know it'll be easy to identify the projects that were affected by sorting through the inbox, and if I'm reasonably sure that none of them will blow up over the next few hours, I have confidence that I can get back to work and come back to looking at the projects later.

2) Review all Due for Review projects (ideally at least once a day)
Right here, I run the Reset Review Dates script I posted earlier in this thread. After running the script, all projects that are newly created and not yet reviewed, or that are changed because something was moved from the inbox into the project, will show as due for review now (Today or earlier).

For each of the due-for-review projects, I make sure that the desired outcome is still clear, and that the Next Action is clear, actionable, and correct.

If the project is indeed due-for-review because of an input from the inbox, I have to consider the meaning of the input: perhaps the input is just some supporting reference information, which I'll either move to the project's notes or handle it appropriately as something that's not actionable. Or, maybe it's a subsequent (not next) action, and I'll drag it to a seemingly good spot in the project's contents.

Or perhaps, once clarified, the new input is actually going to be the Next Action. It goes to the top. It'll show now as a Next Action and Available. When I captured it, it was a new brainwave of how to get that project moving forward, and it's now reflected that way in my system.
Actually it all happens pretty quickly. This may be obvious, but I just wanted to add this narrative to the thread to help frame why I think the requested feature is important (i.e. where my script fits in now).

OF is now serving me better than it ever has. It took me a while to establish this rhythm - and to reveal for me this little part that I think should be improved.

I think I'm going to have to try your script. I've been noticing some oddities with review dates as well. I have a project item open right now that says to review it every week, that the last review date was September 20th, and the next review date is October 7th in the due for review within next week grouping. September 20th to October 7th is a bit more than a week on most modern calendars, so I'm a bit puzzled.

I'm with you - I'd rather be able to flatten everything out when I'm ready to do a review and know that I've looked at *everything* without being too concerned about when I actually looked at it last. The way it's working right now I don't end my review feeling "clean" because I think things are being hidden by the date management in Omnifocus.