The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bookmarks disappearing when using Ad Blocker Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi.

I just downloaded OmniWeb. I am trying to restrict it to just certain web sites. I first created a list of allowed sites in the preferences such as "apple\.com" in the allowed content in Ad Blocker. Then I add "/*" in the blocked content in Ad Blocker which I understand is the expression for blocking all sites.

However, as soon as I add "/*" as the blocked content, my bookmarks do NOT show up (they disappear the next time I start OmniWeb). If I then remove the "/*" from the blocked content list, my bookmarks reappear when I restart OmniWeb. (Otherwise, the browser acts as expected, allowing access to only the web sites I listed.)

Any ideas? I want to:

1 - block all websites so I can then ..
2 - allow only specific web sites (a small number)
3 - create bookmarks to some of these allowed sites

Thanks.

(Using Mac OS X 10.6.2)

The ad block black list isn't really intended for blocking sites all together, you'll still be able to visit those sites and click to load individual components on them. What it's intended to do is block third-party images and other unwanted content from being loaded automatically into the webpages you visit.

Does Parental Controls not offer the features you need?

Iinteresting. If I type in a URL not on my list, nothing comes up - the page is blank so it appears that I cannot visit any sites except those on my allowed list.

Does OmniWeb have parental controls? Or are you referring to 3rd party software?

Thanks for your reply.

BTW, related to this, when I quit OmniWeb, I get the "Bookmarks Lost Data" message stating "Saving this bookmarks file to .../Application Support/OmniWeb 5/Published.html will not preserve all of the information in the original document. Do you wish to save anyway?"

Last edited by breezeinb; 2010-03-16 at 08:50 AM..

I was referring to the ones available in the Mac OS X System preferences. It's possible those don't offer the granularity you need, I'm not super familiar with what's available there.