The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Not licensed"... but it is Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm using OF 1.1 Sneakypeeks and sync my home machine with my Macbook over Mobile Me. Now everytime I open OF on the Macbook it tells me my copy is not licensed ... well, it is. I trashed the license file and entered the information again: no luck. OF nags again and again.

It sounds like you have a single license? You can personally use a single license on as many computers as you like, but you can only use it on one computer at a time.

(At least at the moment. We'd like to make it easier to let you switch back and forth between multiple computers without having to quit a copy each time you switch.)

I see ... thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
(At least at the moment. We'd like to make it easier to let you switch back and forth between multiple computers without having to quit a copy each time you switch.)
That would be nice, Ken. Even when I travel, I log into my home Mac using Back To My Mac to keep it in sync just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post

This is a big issue with me, as I move back and forth frequently between my two machines. I don't want to have to buy a second copy! Is there any anticipated solution for 1.1?

If you're running into this and are thinking of buying a 2nd license, note that upgrading your current license to a Family Pack (4 additional licenses) is only about half the price of a 2nd license.

FYI, for those running into the licensing problem: if you have a MobileMe subscription and have enabled Back to My Mac and screen sharing, you can log into your home computer and quit the copy of OmniFocus running there.

It would be great if Omni could figure out a way to allow a user with one license to use OF on a machine if they inadvertently left an instance running on another one--but that needs to be balanced against security concerns. As a non-expert, though, it seems to me it would be more secure to have OF include a feature to quit a remote instance than enabling VNC (screen sharing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelShapiro View Post
This is a big issue with me, as I move back and forth frequently between my two machines. I don't want to have to buy a second copy! Is there any anticipated solution for 1.1?
This is also a big issue for me; in fact, I only ended up browsing the forums because the Omni support folks just told me that I'm not allowed to leave the app running on two machines and I was pretty startled by that.

I appreciate that changing software isn't easy or quick, but I do think that until it's changed you should be making that limitation *much* more clear. I read the license pretty carefully and did *not* come away with the impression that I was violating the license terms, and the 'Not licensed' error message certainly didn't help explain the situation.

The iPhone syncing is great, but as far as syncing between two machines goes, if I have to remember to quit one copy before opening the other, I'm afraid I don't see the point of having syncing at all — I might as well just point the database at a shared filesystem or stick it on a USB drive and carry it around with me.