The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

no folders visible if no folders selected Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Someone posted a way to change the default behavior so that if no folders are selected on the left, no folders appear in the window -- like it is for example in Mail.app. Unfortunately, I can't find that post now that I decided this is actually a good idea.

In the terminal, doing

defaults write com.omnigroup.omnifocus LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty 1

will turn the behavior on, and

defaults write com.omnigroup.omnifocus LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty 0

will turn it back off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
In the terminal, doing

defaults write com.omnigroup.omnifocus LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty 1

will turn the behavior on
Thanks! It worked.

If you try this and decide not to stick with it, you might want to turn it off by removing your custom setting. This way if the default behavior ever changes (perhaps because we made related changes), you'll see the change rather than having to take another trip to the command line.

To remove the setting, type this in the Terminal:

defaults remove com.omnigroup.omnifocus LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
If you try this and decide not to stick with it, you might want to turn it off by removing your custom setting. This way if the default behavior ever changes (perhaps because we made related changes), you'll see the change rather than having to take another trip to the command line.
I don't understand this. Are you suggesting I remove the custom setting before installing new versions, just to see?

I think Andrew is suggesting that there are three possibilities for this setting, not two. Will gave instructions for turning the setting on and off. Andrew gave instructions for reverting to the default value, which may change in the future.

In other words, if you draw turning LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty on and decide it isn't for you, then you should probably remove the setting rather than turning it off. Removing the setting means that you'll see future improvements in this area. Turning it off might hide such improvements.

Curt

Right, what Curt said. You can go either direction, but my recommendation would be that if you change a default setting manually and then change your mind, you "remove" your setting instead of explicitly setting it to something that matches the original value, as the latter will remain in effect even if we change the built-in default.