The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

70 seconds to launch & sync :: Help! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

It takes 70 seconds to launch & sync OmniFocus on my iPhone.

I am using:

OmniFocus for Mac: Sneakypeek (v77.10.0.104140)
OmniFocus for iPhone: 1.0.3 (v77.9.2.0.103897)
MobileMe over Wireless LAN & 12Mb DSL connection (not congested)

My OmniFocus database on my iDisk is 218KB. Is this a particularly large size for a database? I archive old data on the first day of each month, so the last archive was 20 days ago.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the sync? I found some instructions in the forum relating to version 1.0.2 and lower - but these are not applicable to 1.0.3, right?

What I'm really looking for in OmniFocus is to be able to quickly dump ideas into it when I'm on the go. With the current launch & sync times this is kind of hard to do.

218 kb is probably reasonable. That's comparable to my own database.

If your data was bloated by a pre-1.0.3 version, 1.0.3 isn't smart enough to bring it back down to size, but if you run the CoalesceDatabase script once, 1.0.3 should behave and not re-bloat your database.

We're also looking at ways to make load time faster. Or load in the background while letting you go ahead and enter an inbox item. Or maybe a separate inbox-only app that would sync to the same server. There's a few other threads on the forums discussing some of these possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
If your data was bloated by a pre-1.0.3 version, 1.0.3 isn't smart enough to bring it back down to size, but if you run the CoalesceDatabase script once, 1.0.3 should behave and not re-bloat your database.
I've been using OmniFocus for iPhone since the first release so this is definitely possible. I'll track down this script now and let you know how I go.

Quote:
We're also looking at ways to make load time faster. Or load in the background while letting you go ahead and enter an inbox item. Or maybe a separate inbox-only app that would sync to the same server. There's a few other threads on the forums discussing some of these possibilities.
Excellent, I am keen to hear what you guys come up with. You've set the bar pretty high with the speediness of the desktop app you know. :)

Quote:
Hi, initial results are that this totally fixes my problem. I did not try this script before creating this thread as all comments I read regarding it seemed to indicate it was not required if you were using 1.0.3.

Am I able to ask what this script actually does? (Feel free to get technical).

I'm not familiar enough with the architecture to be too technical, but basically it forces OmniFocus to write out the database in a form that coalesces all the transactions. (If you looked inside the document wrapper before running the script, you would probably have seen a lot of zip files. Afterwards, just one zip file, though the number will go up some as you use the app, then hopefully stay roughly steady depending on how frequently all clients get synced together.)

where do I find that script?

J.