The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OO Wish List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There's been a lot of discussion regarding a potential OO feature called "cloning". Best I can tell, I think it would be useful for my interests. If only I could determine more precisely what the concise definition of this functionality actually is, I could probably commit to being more vocal about advocating it be added. Hard to determine though by reading thru various posts whether it will actually materialize in OO or not. Alas, such is the way of the software development business -- maybe we will, maybe we won't -- 1st we must contemplate what the potential revenue might be.

I truly enjoy using the OO application (am using the OO4 test builds as well). It's impossible to not appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into all Omni products (I use them all almost everyday) -- for both the functionality they offer, as well the superb Omni UI.

I use OO routinely for writing statements of work (SOWs) and specifications (SPECs). I particularly like the hierarchical row structure (with and/or without numbering) that OO offers as well its additional columns functionality since it fits with my desire to construct SOWs and SPECs in a line-oriented fashion. No paragraphs-- everything can reside within an hierarchical organized row structure and each row can be "marked-up" utilizing additional columns to hold the "mark-up". For anyone that manages requirements in this fashion, let your mind wander a bit on the power of requirements management ability with markup functionality.

But, I find myself constantly searching / longing for more outliner functionality.

One simple example:

Linking - The ability to link specific text within one row to another row both within a given OO document and/or externally to a given row in another OO document. Presently, only external links to url's are possible. A related and added benefit would be bi-directional linking. Link from point a to point b, with the ability to go back to where you were (both internally and externally within OO files). a and b could both be in the same document, or not. There's a popular office product (running on another operating system) that has such functionality (to a degree) but it has horrid outlining ability. Coupled with a versioning feature, this addition could easily mark the beginning of an application immensely useful for a sound requirements management foundation as well as many other possible applications.