The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

1Password extension and Lion Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As someone who uses both OmniWeb and 1Password every day, I know exactly how you feel, Cortig. Unfortunately, if there was an easy solution, it would probably be in place already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
As someone who uses both OmniWeb and 1Password every day, I know exactly how you feel, Cortig. Unfortunately, if there was an easy solution, it would probably be in place already...
I perfectly understand that there is no easy solution. I'm more thinking long term and trying to emphasize how much I believe this problem matters :-\

Corentin

It looks like it's been a few weeks since Omni contacted Agile about 1P...I've sent my own note but I'm curious if you've gotten any dialog going with the Agile developers about an OmniWeb fix?

Thanks for any updates, this is one of those things that will result in me getting rid of 1Password before I would even begin to consider changing to a browser less functional than OmniWeb, but it'll still be annoying for sure.

This isn't a case of a few bugs that need to be fixed - the technology that 1Password's OmniWeb plug-in depended on has been completely removed from Lion. (Scripting Additions.)

Apple had good reasons for doing that - it helps to make Lion more secure - but it also means that some things that were possible in Snow Leopard and earlier just aren't in Lion.

Agile has limited development resources to work with, so they've made the completely reasonable decision to focus their efforts on the browsers that have the biggest footprint. (Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.)

It might be possible on a technical level for us to re-engineer OmniWeb in such a way that their Safari extension would work, but my understanding is that it would be an unfeasibly large amount of work to do so.

Sorry I don't have better news for you, but the current situation isn't likely to change in the foreseeable future. As someone who uses OmniWeb and 1Password, it's a disappointment to me, as well. If anything changes, we'll be sure to let folks know.

Just because you move to Lion and don't want to give up OmniWeb doesn't mean you have to stop using 1Password, of course! It's still a fine password manager, you just have a few more clicks involved. Still beats the stuffing out of the alternatives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
This isn't a case of a few bugs that need to be fixed - the technology that 1Password's OmniWeb plug-in depended on has been completely removed from Lion. (Scripting Additions.)
This has been repeated countless times by Agile, but it simply isn't true. SIMBL plugins, which are Scripting Addition loaded, are working normally on Lion (including my own personal set of OmniWeb hacks).

Agile's rationale is considerably more complicated and can be followed in this thread: http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php...e-near-future/. Please note that in that thread they acknowledge that Scripting Additions do work and that there are other technical obstacles.

Make sure to voice your support for OmniWeb in that thread. Agile has made a business decision to support Safari first (understandable). What's not clear is whether they are willing to support Scripting Addition loading where still feasible (OmniWeb).

As for OmniGroup, I suspect that Agile just needs a bundle loaded so they can swizzle. That seems more doable than Safari extension support. Perhaps its time to reach out to them and see if something less than full Safari extension support could close the gap?

Axel

Thanks, Axel, for the nitty gritty details on the 1Password technical/business tactics and strategy.

I second Axel's suggestion to make our OmniWeb voices heard in the AgileBits 1Password forum.

-- Ward

Maybe you should check the discussion with Jamie Phelps of Agile Bits here:
http://www.macstories.net/reviews/1p...con-lion-only/

Someone definitely should start working on this issue either from Omni Group or Agile Bits, instead of trying to explain why it would be better if someone else did it.

And here's the question:
Can we do something instead of waiting for them? Can anyone think of a way to write a piece of script that would make 1Password work with OmniWeb?

Just tried to make a post, but it contained links. I need an initial "linkless" post in order to make one with a link. I'm not used to being restricted in forums like this. I guess you get spoiled being a forum admin. :-)

I hope this works...

Hey folks,

Apple removed Scripting Additions from developer builds of Lion and brought them back only at the last minute. This is likely a sign that Apple plans to phase this technology out, and soon, but is giving developers a little more time to make the transition. Because we're trying to standardize our extension experience across browsers and prepare for the future, we have already taken Apple's progressive philosophy to heart and are looking towards the future to create a better experience for all customers.

At the moment we don't have any plans to support OmniWeb, as it does not provide the same extensions framework available in Safari. For now we're focusing our efforts on browsers with a rich set of tools for extensions; currently this includes Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

The aforelinked AgileBits forum thread has the longer explanation. Jeff did a good job of outlining both the technical and business angles of the situation:

http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php...post__p__35068

http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php...post__p__35261

I am an OmniWeb lover myself, so it gives me no joy to have it unsupported at this time. Point of fact: one of the top links in a Google search for "why use omniweb" is a link to a blog post I wrote about my love for OmniWeb.

Quoting from Jeff:
As for plans, all I can say is what our hopes are. We hope to restore support, either through Scripting Additions or through the new technology.

I really wish I could give you something more definitive at this point. There are scenarios in which restored support for OmniWeb could happen quickly and scenarios under which it takes considerable time. I just don't know how these will play out at this point.
--
Khad Young
Forum Choreographer, AgileBits