The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus on Multiple Computers [USB, iDisk, .Mac, Syncing] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
You shouldn't be getting "this file is locked" unless you copied the file while OmniFocus was running. And you shouldn't be copying the file while OmniFocus is running. So that is a little concerning. If you're diligent about quitting Focus before copying the file, and you still get locked errors, please let us know.
Oh wow. I'm getting the same "file is locked" message. I'm pretty sure I copied my file while Omnifocus was running because Omnifocus is always running. Except now. A rainbow ball is spinning. My head is hurting. Please tell me I can get my file back. Nothing is working except, of course, for the aformentioned rainbow ball. That works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkywater View Post
Oh wow. I'm getting the same "file is locked" message.
Actually, that "file is locked" message is not a problem: it indicates that OmniFocus is doing what it's supposed to do, making sure that only one application is writing to your document at a time.

If you have the two copies of OmniFocus using the same document over the network, you can steal the lock back and forth without any issue, except that any edits-in-progress on the client who lost the lock will get lost since it has to reload the document to get the new edits from the other computer (who stole the lock out from under it).

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I copied my file while Omnifocus was running because Omnifocus is always running. Except now. A rainbow ball is spinning. My head is hurting. Please tell me I can get my file back.
It would be great to find out what it's stuck doing, which you can do by running Activity Monitor (from Applications:Utilities), selecting OmniFocus in the process list, and selecting "Sample Process" from the View menu. If you send the resulting output to omnifocus@omnigroup.com, we'll try to figure out how it got stuck.

In the meantime, you can force quit and relaunch OmniFocus—hopefully everything will be back to normal!

Hmmmm. Unlike milkywater, I'm sure I had quit OF before transferring the document. And, of course, I've just tried my usual routine, dragging the folder ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus to my MBP (into the ~/Library/Application Support/ Folder. No problem at all with a Locked File message this time.

But are you saying, Ken, from this quote below,

Quote:
If you have the two copies of OmniFocus using the same document over the network, you can steal the lock back and forth without any issue, except that any edits-in-progress on the client who lost the lock will get lost since it has to reload the document to get the new edits from the other computer (who stole the lock out from under it).
that having the app installed on both macs, and switching the Folder back and forth means that edits I make to the document on the MBP will not be there when I transfer the document back to the G5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccredden View Post
Could foldershare be used to sync the data to different mac's?

www.foldershare.com
I have been using Foldershare for the last few weeks without any problems. I have an imac at home and a macbook pro at work. Once I have connected to the internet, Foldershare syncs the folder I put the OmniFocus file into. Once in a while I get a message that says the file is locked. I just say that it's ok and it works. Foldershare has been free for the last few years but I fear that Microsoft (the owner) may charge for it one day. For now, it is a great way to keep local copies of the same files on multiple machines.

lfuold: not quite. Ken is talking about using the document from both machines *at the same time*. So if you pass the document back and forth, but only edit it from one computer at a time, you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetrix9 View Post
The first time the database is opened on a new computer (leave work, go home, open OF on home laptop) the lag is absolutely UNBEARABLE - approaching 5 minutes in some cases and frequently causing crashes, or allowing the process to stay with <0.1% CPU usage for more than 5 minutes.
I follow the same procedure: I keep my OF database on a thumb drive and open from either my PowerMac G5 or my PowerBook (though never at the same time). I have seen zero lag. Well, OK, maybe 3 seconds.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.2, in case that makes a difference.

(Also new to this forum - and potentially to OF... still evaluating.)

I have Leopard on MacPro at home and Tiger on G5 at work.

Could I simply sync all the files in the corresponding location(s) - ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus between the two systems using ChronoSync and use OF by having it read and write to all the files it needs on the respective hard drives after Flash/Thumb drives are unmounted?

I never want to update simultaneously!

TIA!

I tried a number of ways to jump between computers. I finally gave up and just use a thumb drive to hold my OF DB. Works great as long as I remember to plug it in :)

Barry

Barry?

Would you be kind enough to describe the way you used your thumb drive, please: which files in which locations on the desktop machines?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSealey View Post
Could I simply sync all the files in the corresponding location(s) - ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus between the two systems using ChronoSync
I'm also interested in using ChronoSync to sync my OF data, and would love to hear if this approach would work.

thanks,

scott