The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Start/Due dates won't fit on a single line Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I added the columns Start Date and Due Date to my Projects perspective, and this is what I see:

http://itstar.co.uk/omnifocus_date.png

The date just won't fit on a single line, I tried resizing the window, I tried changing the font size and fonts, nothing :(

It shows up as:

14/04/201

How do I get the dates to fit in a single line?

EDIT: Changing the font from the default to Helvetica fixes this problem - is this a bug?

Last edited by hackeron; 2011-03-15 at 08:46 PM..

No, not a bug. You're using a date format that results in a longer string than will fit in the default column size with the default font setup. With a 2 digit year you'd be fine, with a smaller font size you'd be fine, or with a wider column width, you'd be fine.

To adjust the column width, make sure you have the column labels showing (turn on the view bar with View->Show View Bar), then drag the separator between the column labels as necessary. Getting the settings to stick is a little bit fiddly; a perspective will save and restore the columns if you have the Restore Layout box checked in the perspective. To set the default settings, you need to close all but one window, set the columns as you want them, then close that last window. You would be forgiven for thinking that wasn't immediately obvious :-)

You do a similar drill for setting up the columns in the Quick Entry box—bring up the QE box, make your changes, close it without creating any new actions. To adjust the column widths, you need to be in OmniFocus as the frontmost application when you bring it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
No, not a bug. You're using a date format that results in a longer string than will fit in the default column size with the default font setup. With a 2 digit year you'd be fine, with a smaller font size you'd be fine, or with a wider column width, you'd be fine.
I typed in 7d, I didn't request a 4 letter year, it seems to be the system default - how do I change this to a 2 digit year?

Quote:
To adjust the column width, make sure you have the column labels showing (turn on the view bar with View->Show View Bar), then drag the separator between the column labels as necessary. Getting the settings to stick is a little bit fiddly; a perspective will save and restore the columns if you have the Restore Layout box checked in the perspective. To set the default settings, you need to close all but one window, set the columns as you want them, then close that last window. You would be forgiven for thinking that wasn't immediately obvious :-)
Thanks, will try that :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackeron View Post
I typed in 7d, I didn't request a 4 letter year, it seems to be the system default - how do I change this to a 2 digit year?
Yes, OmniFocus uses whatever the system date format is. Go to System Preferences, select Language & Text, select Formats, fiddle to your heart's content. Remember, however, that you're probably changing the date format for some other application(s) as well, so adjusting the column width might end up being the least objectionable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Yes, OmniFocus uses whatever the system date format is. Go to System Preferences, select Language & Text, select Formats, fiddle to your heart's content. Remember, however, that you're probably changing the date format for some other application(s) as well, so adjusting the column width might end up being the least objectionable solution.
Adjusted the column width, thank you very much for your help :)