The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mail Rule & Exchange Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there an issue using mail rules and exchange in mail.app ?

The mail rule runs and moves the email to the appropriate folder but nothing turns up in omni focus, any idea ?

Thanks

There are a number of things which could be causing this - Bill P has helpfully listed most of 'em in this post.

If none of the items there explain what you're seeing, contact the support ninjas and we'll be happy to investigate with you. Sorry for the trouble!

With an e-mail like the following it does not work, so something definitely is wrong. The console log doesn't show anything useful (it calls process_message once it says).

Code:
Return-Path: <...>
X-Original-To: ...
Delivered-To: ...
Received: from ...
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Subject: dsaaad
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:31:00 +0100
Message-Id: <FC087800-8CC7-4D2E-A24C-8008DBAABBCE@...>
To: ...
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v1082)
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.1082)
X-Bogosity: Ham, tests=bogofilter, spamicity=0.000012, version=1.2.2

-- hello
world
-- bla

asd12

The message looks fine. The behavior you describe (properly formatted message, call to process_message, but no action appears) suggests that you do not have the account from which the message was sent listed in the set of authorized accounts in the OmniFocus preferences for Mail. You get a call to the Mail rule every time a message comes in addressed to OmniFocus (either via the +omnifocus address or the subject line starting with the configured text), and that causes the call to process_message to happen. OmniFocus checks at that point to make sure the sender is on the list of authorized accounts, but no diagnostic message is logged if it is not, it simply discards the request.

Ok, ok. Apple Mail actually changed the sender address a few times in sync with my tests confusingly enough. I sent roughly 10 test mails to OF and it consistently failed the ones with anything but subject-only.

After adding the address I missed in my me-card, I can no longer produce the problem.

I withdraw my comment. And I am happy it works (at least for me).

Would be nice if somehow the rule could indicate failure (by returning a false value from perform mail action on...?) and have the rule respond to that by leaving the message in INBOX instead of moving it to the archive folder or deleting it. This way I might loose messages.

I don't think there is any method to take an action in a Mail rule based on the result of another action. However, it does seem like the OmniFocus script could be easily improved by adding the line starting with "+":

Code:
		tell application "OmniFocus"
			set AllowedSender to allowed mail senders
			if AllowedSender does not contain trimmedSender and AllowedSender does not contain theSender then
+				log "Received message from unauthorized sender " & trimmedSender & ", ignoring"
				return
			end if
		end tell
I change the Mail rule to put all of the messages in a separate folder rather than deleting them.

Filed a feature request for more logging. Thanks!