The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Any progress on adding People+context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know if pounded on this before for small workgroups. But now I'm just trying to use OF at home. Just got my wife set up and she is totally frustrated because there is no way for us to work on a project together sharing tasks, which has both a context and a responsible party.

Tasks that should have "hardware store" or "phone" contexts get overwritten with "troy" or "anna" just to show who has responsibility - which then looses the point of context, to find all of the"hardware store" contexts to make sure you take care of all tasks while at the hardware store.

Anyone have a better idea? Or is there a coming beta that solves this problem?

Any way to manage the syncing between our machines to make sure we don't lose data?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tah View Post
Tasks that should have "hardware store" or "phone" contexts get overwritten with "troy" or "anna" just to show who has responsibility - which then looses the point of context, to find all of the"hardware store" contexts to make sure you take care of all tasks while at the hardware store.
Have you tried using a couple of top level contexts for each of you with the more specific subcontexts?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Have you tried using a couple of top level contexts for each of you with the more specific subcontexts?
Considered it. But it gets complicated fast to have duplicated contexts. And entering them slows down quite a bit. Then I also have the same context for my employees. So I'd have at least 3 duplicated context trees: me, my wife, my employees. Kind-of nasty.

This is why quicken added classes a long time ago. Obviously OF needs the same (people in this case). Can't see how OF works cleanly unless you are single and work alone.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tah View Post
Considered it. But it gets complicated fast to have duplicated contexts. And entering them slows down quite a bit. Then I also have the same context for my employees. So I'd have at least 3 duplicated context trees: me, my wife, my employees. Kind-of nasty.
Really? You have auto-complete. It actually seems quicker to set the team member and the context at once instead of separately, but maybe that's just me.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tah View Post
This is why quicken added classes a long time ago. Obviously OF needs the same (people in this case). Can't see how OF works cleanly unless you are single and work alone.
None of the team at Omni works alone, so we feel this need as well: but collaboration wasn't and isn't our focus in OmniFocus v1.x. We wanted to start with the fundamental personal workflow, so OmniFocus v1.0 was designed for individuals who work on their personal task lists on a single computer, and OmniFocus v1.5 extended that design to support individuals who work on their personal task lists on multiple devices (multiple computers, iPhone, iPod touch).

Our focus is shifting, however: OmniFocus 2.0 is being designed to support collaboration between teams who work on shared projects (without forcing them to share a common list of all their projects and contexts). It's also being designed to optionally integrate with OmniPlan 2.0, so a project manager can visualize and manage the entirety of a complex project (without overwhelming the viewpoint of each individual team member).

For now, what I do in OmniFocus is to have each team member maintain totally independent databases (rather than trying to synchronize them), and we delegate tasks and report status updates to each other using other techniques (email, meetings, etc.) rather than trying to have those changes automatically synchronized.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2009-04-27 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: Added a paragraph explaining my current collaborative workflow
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding item with no context wmeleis@westernfog.com OmniFocus for iPhone 8 2009-03-29 10:02 AM
People Context Feature Request nichestudio OmniFocus for iPhone 8 2008-08-06 10:47 PM
Adding New Context on 1.1 denrael OmniFocus 1 for Mac 6 2008-08-04 12:45 PM
Adding Sub-Context by typing gotung OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2008-08-04 08:22 AM
Adding context in web interface ghurd OmniFocus 1 for Mac 0 2007-09-17 07:48 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.