The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Multiple iPhones, one webdav server. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This might be a rookie question.. for the record, I spent at least 20mins trying to find a previous thread with answers to my question.

I just setup a webdav server on osx 10.5 yesterday. I'm using the omnifocus alpha app on the mac. Currently there is only one phone syncing with the server. Is it possible to use multiple iphones on the same server.. without sharing data?

-Adam

Another question.
Is it possible to sync your iphone with PC's on the same network as the webdav server..

IE. 10 employees have iphones.. and the server is running webdav.. can each employee sync their iphone on their own PC.. and if so, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretemp View Post
This might be a rookie question.. for the record, I spent at least 20mins trying to find a previous thread with answers to my question.

I just setup a webdav server on osx 10.5 yesterday. I'm using the omnifocus alpha app on the mac. Currently there is only one phone syncing with the server. Is it possible to use multiple iphones on the same server.. without sharing data?

-Adam
Yes. No. Maybe. Uh, what was the question again? :)

You say you want to use multiple phones on the same server without sharing data. Are you planning on having multiple OmniFocus databases on the Mac, one per phone? Or multiple OmniFocus databases spread over several Macs (again, one database per phone)?

Yes, you can configure the sync code on both ends (Mac and iPhone) to use an arbitrary directory on your webDAV server volume. But unless you are just going to have the phones syncing to that server for backup purposes, you need to have at least one OmniFocus (Mac) database also syncing to that same directory. Maybe this is what you are intending, but your message doesn't make that explicit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretemp View Post
Another question.
Is it possible to sync your iphone with PC's on the same network as the webdav server..

IE. 10 employees have iphones.. and the server is running webdav.. can each employee sync their iphone on their own PC.. and if so, how?
No, the only use for a PC in the OmniFocus world is possibly as a webDAV server host. There is no OmniFocus client for the PC, and no expressed interest in building one by Omni.

My apologies for my poor wording.

How do I configure a sub-folder on the webdav server to work with the omnifocus client on their MAC on the same LAN.

It depends on what WebDAV server you're using how you create those folders (and maybe you ought to even have separate accounts for each user so they can't snoop in each others' data?). Once you have those folders, you can just toss them on the end of the path in the OmniFocus Advanced syncing preferences. Something like:
some.server.com/somewebdavpath/username

so is this as easy as just linking it to another path.. or do i have to manually create the folder and the database somehow..

ideally i'd like each mac to have its own database for each seperate iphone connecting to the webdav server.

how do i set that up

I tried copying the Omnifocus.ofocus directory to http://localhost/webdav/powerbook folder and tried to link another mac to that database but i get an error with it for some reason..
are there any other steps im missing?

You need to create a directory for each user. Then, for each user, configure his/her OmniFocus on both desktop and iPhone to use that directory for syncing and push the sync now button. OmniFocus will create everything once you tell it where to do so.

You should not be manually copying an OmniFocus.ofocus file anywhere. You should configure syncing in the OmniFocus Sync preference pane and let it copy the file.