The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thinking of getting an iMac Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm an avid OF & OO user looking for some advice about the durability of iMacs, and I'm hoping that the folk here at one of the most helpful forums I've ever come across may be able to help.

I'm thinking of getting an iMac - compromise between the relative lack of horsepower in a mac mini (I have a mac mini server hooked up to a display I want to upgrade), and the expense of a Mac Pro. I'm not currently in the market for a laptop - have a 2007 17" macbook pro which works fine (even if it is both heavy and noisy due to its running so hot compared to the newer ones).

As somebody who has built several desktops over the years, the idea of buying an all-in-one is really contra-intuitive. I don't want to find myself a few years down the line with mobo or display dying before the rest of the machine gives up.

Does anybody have any comments which might help?

Thanks!

Vincent

I've been laptop-only for the last couple of years, so I can't really provide the answer you're looking for.

I generally purchase AppleCare for anything that has a screen on it, though, and Apple's always been fantastic about no-hassle resolutions to any trouble I have had. Including the time I walked in and said "I dropped my phone; I need to buy a new screen"; when the face sensor didn't work with the new screen attached, they replaced the whole thing at no cost.

Again, not really the answer you're looking for, but hopefully at least minimally helpful. :-)

if you can resist the little tinker in you then get an iMac.

I'm sitting in front of a whole classroom of 21.5" iMacs right now and I can tell you from experience: These babies are very reliable :)

It's almost impossible to find a package delivering better performance and quality for the same price.

cheers
patric

Quote:
Originally Posted by patric.flueck View Post
if you can resist the little tinker in you then get an iMac.
;-) How very perceptive!

Thanks both

Vincent