The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ability to tag contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Ok . . . I didn't give a great example. I should have put calls at the top of the hierarchy (Calls>Office>Fred). But it shouldn't matter because contexts will be completely customizable to fit your workflow.
(I apologize if I reply twice to this posting — I think that I didn’t save my first reply.)

Both your examples are just fine and both display the same issue that SpiralOcean and I are getting at. In a nutshell, contexts overlap in the real world.

If you have Calls>Office>Fred (instead of Office>Calls>Fred), then there’s an implied need for Calls>Home>Fred and Calls>Car>Fred and Calls>Elsewhere>Fred. The result is a huge and unmaintainable context hierarchy.

Tags, on the other hand, automatically allow overlapping contexts with far less maintenance. I can tag something with just Calls if I don’t care where I make the call from, or Calls AND Home if I see it in my Calls context, my Home context, and a Calls + Home context, should I be feeling so particular.

So, if I had to pick, I would pick context tags instead of hierarchies.

— Tim